Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report S Corp basis for PPP loan not forgiven?

david3
Level 7

Restaurant S Corp client's PPP loan hasn't been forgiven by 12/30/20. His loss in addition to his distributions have created zero basis and a loss carry forward.

I know that S Corp and partnership clients get basis when the PPP loan is forgiven and non-taxable income is reported.

I know the AICPA has recommended that basis be allowed for S Corp and partnerships for this timing difference - the year expenses were paid with PPP funds vs. the following year when the PPP loan is forgiven. However, I haven't seen any final guidance on this.

Is basis allowed for the PPP funds used for qualified expenses in 2020 even if forgiveness has been granted yet? If so, how is this reported in PS so that the owner receives basis for this?

Thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

The have debt, not a basis addition as long as the loan wasn't forgiven before year end.

Slava Ukraini!
david3
Level 7

So there will probably be many S Corp owners who have to carry losses forward due to this timing issue.

I thought maybe there was final guidance in line with the AICPA recommendation.

Thanks.