Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter long term losses on form 8949 with Box E shown on 1099-B? When I select Box E on Form 8949 it shows error

Spargle313
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Spargle313
Level 3

Problem solved.  The problem was that at the top of the page on the 1099B worksheet, I erroneously checked the box  "Transactions were not reported to IRS" and that would not let me select Box E (because Box E items ARE reported to IRS). Foolish mistake on my part.  I unchecked the box and problem solved.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

You need to enter the transaction on the Schedule D to flow to the F8949. 

Select Schedule D>Form 1099-B worksheet  scroll down to the Quick Entry Table

0 Cheers
Spargle313
Level 3

Thank you, but that was not the issue.  The problem was that at the top of the page on the 1099B worksheet, I erroneously checked the box  "Transactions were not reported to IRS" and that would not let me select Box E (because Box E items ARE reported to IRS).  I unchecked the box and problem solved.

0 Cheers
Spargle313
Level 3

Problem solved.  The problem was that at the top of the page on the 1099B worksheet, I erroneously checked the box  "Transactions were not reported to IRS" and that would not let me select Box E (because Box E items ARE reported to IRS). Foolish mistake on my part.  I unchecked the box and problem solved.