Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter a portion of a loss as ordinary

tjmom2
Level 3

footnote to 1099 B lists portion of unadjusted loss as ordinary, how do I report this portion

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
tjmom2
Level 3

Figured this out thanks for the comments....

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

Some context about the segregation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
tjmom2
Level 3

1099b  lists an unadjusted loss of 2714 and then in a footnote lists 2073 of it as ordinary.  The client has previous carryforward losses and I'm not sure how to designate the portion of ordinary loss for this year

0 Cheers
tjmom2
Level 3

stock sale

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you saying part of that is long-term gain and part of it is short term?  If so, you just need to enter that as two separate sale for shares held for short and long term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
tjmom2
Level 3

No, all long term in the following:

Up to U.S.$5,000,000,000
NATIXIS
(as Issuer)
NATIXIS US MEDIUM-TERM NOTE PROGRAM LLC
(as Issuer)
NATIXIS, NEW YORK BRANCH
(Guarantor of the 3(a)(2) Notes)
The notes (the “Notes”) are being offered from time to time on a continuous basis in one or more Series (each, a “Series”) by Natixis, a
French incorporated company (société anonyme) (“Natixis” or the “Bank” and, together with its consolidated subsidiaries, the “Group” or “Natixis
Group”) and Natixis US Medium-Term Note Program LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (the “LLC” and, together with the Bank, the
“Issuers” and each an “Issuer”), and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Bank. Each Series of Notes will be issued by either the Bank or the LLC.
The specific terms of each Series of Notes will be set forth in a product and/or pricing supplement (in each case, a “supplement” and,
respectively, a “Product Supplement” and “Pricing Supplement”) to this Base Offering Memorandum. The Notes of certain Series will be complex
instruments that may not be suitable investments for certain investors. You should read this Base Offering Memorandum (including the documents
incorporated by reference) and the related supplement or supplements carefully before you invest.
The Notes may be offered pursuant to an exemption from registration provided by Section 3(a)(2) (the “3(a)(2) Notes”) of the Securities
Act of 1933, as amended (the “Securities Act”), or offered in reliance on the exemption from registration provided by Rule 144A (the “Rule 144A
Notes”) under the Securities Act (“Rule 144A”) only to qualified institutional buyers (“QIBs”), within the meaning of Rule 144A. In addition, the
Notes may, if specified in the applicable supplement, be offered outside the United States to non-U.S. persons (as such term is defined in Rule 904
under the Securities Act (a “non-U.S. person”)) pursuant to Regulation S (the “Regulation S Notes” and, together with the 3(a)(2) Notes and the
Rule 144A Notes, the “Notes”) under the Securities Act (“Regulation S”). You should read this Base Offering Memorandum and any applicable
supplement carefully before you invest in the Notes.
The 3(a)(2) Notes may be issued by Natixis or by the LLC, and will be entitled to the benefit of an unconditional guarantee (the
“Guarantee”) of the due payment of principal, interest and other amounts due in respect thereof, issued by the New York Branch of the Bank, (in
such capacity, the “Guarantor”), duly licensed in the State of New York. The Rule 144A Notes and the Regulation S Notes may be issued only by
Natixis and will not benefit from the Guarantee.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

And how is this relevant to your client's transaction?  If you want a response you can use, you need to give all the relevant details and provide some context for your question.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
tjmom2
Level 3

sorry, trying to figure the correct amount of loss for 2019.  From my research the ordinary loss is allowable over the $3,000 loss limit.  Total ordinary loss is 3340.  Already carrying over 3000 in losses. Just having an issue on where to enter this difference in ProSeries.  On detailed worksheet you can check a box for ordinary loss but it assumes the entire loss is ordinary and I can't find a place to enter the ordinary portion and the remaining portion.  I haven't seen this reported as a portion of the loss before so stumping me.

0 Cheers
tjmom2
Level 3

loss from two transactions is 5186 of which 3377 is ordinary, no other info. provided  Hope I am answering your question....

0 Cheers
tjmom2
Level 3

Figured this out thanks for the comments....

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Maybe you could share the answer in case someone else shows up here looking for help with the same issue.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪