Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I enter a W-2 with 2 different Ohio School District amounts? I keep getting an error when I tried to do this.

marilyncham
Level 1

I have been on live chat for 2 hours, but the only thing they said to do was to erase all the W-2 information and create 2 W-2s out of the one that I have.  They said to use a percentage of all of the figures (wages, amounts withheld, Social Security, Medicare, etc.) and enter the correct percentage of all those figures based on the time that the client lived in the 2 different school districts.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

DO NOT do what support told you. Both School Districts should be entered under local on the same W2, if that's how it's reported. ProSeries will create a separate SD100 for both.

The secret to Ohio School District filing, with multiple districts, is to Paper File them together with the w-2's and use to Explain button to bring up the "Explanation Sheet". Use it to show your work, just like grade school.

Forget the local wages on the W-2, only the tax withheld is accurate. For a Traditional District,  on the SD100, use the Ohio Taxable on line 21 and multiple that by the % for the number of months the taxpayer did NOT live in that district. The result is the amount Not earned in that School District, put that on line 22. If they are both Traditional Districts, the amount on line 23 equals the amount NOT earned in the other district. Put that amount on line 22 of the other return.

The % is arrived at by dividing the number of months by 12. 1 month =.0833, - 2 months=.1667 etc..

If it's an Earned income District, you will be using the same formula but calculating it on the line 24 amount and subtracting that amount from the original line 24 amount and put the reduced amount on line 24.

Print Preview the Filing copy for fed & state, uncheck all forms except the School Districts and additional information sheet and print. 50/50 the additional info sheet will print, it's a day to day thing in ProSeries so I keep a form in Word as a backup.

White out the "Earned Income Only" on the Explanation Statement, if it prints. and put the SS# by the taxpayer's name. I usually include the Tax District Summary report from the FINDER at tax.ohio.gov. If they bought or sold a house, go to the County Auditor's website and print the Property card showing the sale date and send that also. DO NOT staple or clip anything to the return, put the w2's in the front, everything else behind the returns and mail it to the PO BOX 182197 address on the return or the PO BOX 182389, if a payment is included. All refunds will be issued as checks.

It's time consuming, but this is the only method I have found, that successfully gets the taxpayer out of a school district and reports it in a way that does not generate the multiple notices from Ohio, in July, requesting proof of everything and copies of the W2's, when you e-file the School returns. We all know the taxpayer does not respond to notices in a timely manner or at all, so you are saving yourself a lot of correspondence and time next tax year, by taking the time now. And yes, Ohio School Districts are a royal PIA.

If the Taxpayer has a mailing address in a taxing District, but no tax liability for this year, make sure you state that on the Explanation Statement, or Ohio will be looking for tax based on the filing address.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

DO NOT do what support told you. Both School Districts should be entered under local on the same W2, if that's how it's reported. ProSeries will create a separate SD100 for both.

The secret to Ohio School District filing, with multiple districts, is to Paper File them together with the w-2's and use to Explain button to bring up the "Explanation Sheet". Use it to show your work, just like grade school.

Forget the local wages on the W-2, only the tax withheld is accurate. For a Traditional District,  on the SD100, use the Ohio Taxable on line 21 and multiple that by the % for the number of months the taxpayer did NOT live in that district. The result is the amount Not earned in that School District, put that on line 22. If they are both Traditional Districts, the amount on line 23 equals the amount NOT earned in the other district. Put that amount on line 22 of the other return.

The % is arrived at by dividing the number of months by 12. 1 month =.0833, - 2 months=.1667 etc..

If it's an Earned income District, you will be using the same formula but calculating it on the line 24 amount and subtracting that amount from the original line 24 amount and put the reduced amount on line 24.

Print Preview the Filing copy for fed & state, uncheck all forms except the School Districts and additional information sheet and print. 50/50 the additional info sheet will print, it's a day to day thing in ProSeries so I keep a form in Word as a backup.

White out the "Earned Income Only" on the Explanation Statement, if it prints. and put the SS# by the taxpayer's name. I usually include the Tax District Summary report from the FINDER at tax.ohio.gov. If they bought or sold a house, go to the County Auditor's website and print the Property card showing the sale date and send that also. DO NOT staple or clip anything to the return, put the w2's in the front, everything else behind the returns and mail it to the PO BOX 182197 address on the return or the PO BOX 182389, if a payment is included. All refunds will be issued as checks.

It's time consuming, but this is the only method I have found, that successfully gets the taxpayer out of a school district and reports it in a way that does not generate the multiple notices from Ohio, in July, requesting proof of everything and copies of the W2's, when you e-file the School returns. We all know the taxpayer does not respond to notices in a timely manner or at all, so you are saving yourself a lot of correspondence and time next tax year, by taking the time now. And yes, Ohio School Districts are a royal PIA.

If the Taxpayer has a mailing address in a taxing District, but no tax liability for this year, make sure you state that on the Explanation Statement, or Ohio will be looking for tax based on the filing address.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Proseries will not let me answer this question or any others. Sorry.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
???????????

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
My guess would be she was a victim of the spam filter.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
Spent quite some time trying to answer, even asked a question, trying to provide an answer, but just get kicked off.
0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9
Finally let me post the answer.
0 Cheers