Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Rebate Act of 2022

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

With Americans still in shock over jaw-dropping, rising gas prices, a few proposals have floated around Congress and elsewhere about offering some relief to drivers. 

Los Angeles on Tuesday became the first major city in the U.S. to reach an average gas price of $6 or more. That's according to fuel savings platform GasBuddy, which reported the national average gas price in the U.S. beginning to decline since its peak of $4.35 per gallon on March 10. 

Some proposals include a stimulus check while others would tax oil companies. 

Americans could get a $100 per month energy rebate

One proposal comes from Reps. Mike Thompson of California, John Larson of Connecticut, and Lauren Underwood of Illinois. 

The congressional lawmakers propose the Gas Rebate Act of 2022 where Americans would get an energy rebate of $100 per month (and $100 for each dependent) for the rest of 2022 in any month where the national average gas prices exceed $4.00 per gallon.

Wouldn't that be like Congress where they make you "reconcile" advance gas credits with actual gasoline used. 

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
dkh
Level 15

Oh have mercy...... tell me it's not going to be a tax return line item.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"With Americans still in shock over jaw-dropping, rising gas prices"

Just tell them to go live in the Ukraine for a week.  High gas prices sure beats living in a bomb shelter because you have bombs and missiles trying to kill you everyday.  Americans need to put life in perspective and quit whining so much. 

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I thought Newsom (gov here in CA) was yapping about $400 checks to help with the gas prices....its all a buncha hooey, you'll never get the right money to the right people. get rid of the CA gas tax (isnt it like 58 cents per gallon?) for awhile and help those that are actually filling their tanks!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

MD is not collecting its gas tax for 30 days. Woo Hoo. It's 30 or 36 cents a gallon.  Gas did drop below $4 a gallon over the weekend.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its over $6 where I am, maybe 5.79 if you want to wait in line at a generic station.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@sjrcpa wrote:

MD is not collecting its gas tax for 30 days. Woo Hoo. It's 30 or 36 cents a gallon.  Gas did drop below $4 a gallon over the weekend.

Ooh, thanks for the tip!

We used to always be cheaper here south of the Potomac but VA raised their gas taxes a few years ago and now they're fairly comparable.  I checked last year before we went to OCMD and it was actually 10c cheaper to get gas in rural MD between OC and Annapolis.  So rather than fill up before we left we got gas on the way home.

rbynaker
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:
Its over $6 where I am, maybe 5.79 if you want to wait in line at a generic station.

$4.09 at my local station in NoVA.  $3.93 at the Costco (if you want to wait in line for 20 minutes).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

my husband paid just under $7 for diesel yesterday...all you $4 people need to stop whining

LOL

rbynaker
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

my husband paid just under $7 for diesel yesterday...all you $4 people need to stop whining

I don't whine about it.  I've been out of the country before. 🙂

And I own stock in energy companies so certainly no complaints this week.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Yep, rural MD.

On Sunday I was in Gettysburg, PA. Gas was $4.35.

Glad I filled up in MD.

Ex-AllStar