Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Status

Tracy Leibig
Level 2

My client was married 6/2019.  She was to file head of household can she?  She doesn't know the best way to file.  Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Tracy,

If you are seeing clients, you should really understand who qualifies for which filing status.  Lots of material out there for free online, so you don't need to have lots of money to get yourself educated. 

At a minimum IRS Pub 17 is a great place to start.

For this current question, you may want to start here   

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
George4Tacks
Level 15

Your client REALLY needs to talk with a tax professional about how a married person should file their tax return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Tracy,

If you are seeing clients, you should really understand who qualifies for which filing status.  Lots of material out there for free online, so you don't need to have lots of money to get yourself educated. 

At a minimum IRS Pub 17 is a great place to start.

For this current question, you may want to start here   

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/what-is-my-filing-status

Tracy Leibig
Level 2

Thank you yes I'm learning and reading the publications.  Even though she's married can she just file Head of Household?  I don't thin so because her husband is filing married separately.  It get very confusing.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did they live together at all the last 6 months of the year?   If so, then no, she cannot file HOH. 

Their choices would be  Married Jointly or Married Separately.

Look at your publications for HOH "considered unmarried"...she would need to meet those requirements in order to file HOH.

Tracy Leibig
Level 2

Thank you that's what I thought.  Married separately it is.

Tracy Leibig
Level 2

Help is needed and appreciate for the TSJ Tag Errors.  I can't seem to locate the box.  Getting use to this software.  I'm use to Turbo Tax.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You want to turn off the TSJ tags?    Tools > Options

tsj.png

Bosson
Level 1

I have turned them off and still get them in the review.  Spouse died years ago and now as a single return still gets the TSJ indicator.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Must have some kind of memory of the old joint return...may need to start over with a new file?  or just uncheck the TSJ portion of review

tsjtags.png