Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error programming Montana

TaxLaw
Level 4

Rental Property in Montana lives in Alabama files Nonresident. Montana tells T/P to pay $104 on income earned in Montana without physically working in MT only retired in Alabama

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxLaw
Level 4

Pro Series programs the software to assist me with transmitting correct filing. Or my annual $2,500 fee is not responding correctly. I am preparing a letter of appeal to MT quoting Pro Series that nonresident passive income is not taxable to Montana only the resident state of T/P (Alabama).

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
TaxLaw
Level 4

Does T/P file rental income Federal?

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Does Alabama require income tax NO

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Yes

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Interesting conversation that you are having with yourself.  I sometimes talk to myself, but I never thought of having those conversations here.  Interesting concept.🤔

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

concept was to avoid those questions by answering up front. Thanks for taking your time to help.

T/P paid the $104 to not become a tax dodger.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

The taxpayer owed it so good for him or her or them.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Will MT tax anything they can, if they find out about it?

Yes.

https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015905531-What-are-Montana-s-Filing-Requirements-

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

I reviewed the web site on Montana does not apply because T/P filed nonresident

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Well, it appears the link I provided might be the 2021 filing threshold, but notice it uses a low Federal filing limit. If you think the program is in error, you would have to describe what is wrong about it. Age of the person, filing status, Fed income, and MT sourced income (which would be taxable, if they meet the reporting level).

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I found a better link:

https://montana.servicenowservices.com/citizen/kb?id=kb_article_view&sysparm_article=KB0014583

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Understood BUT T/P is a Nonresident retired in Alabama. His passive income of the farm income is nontaxable by MT and the Pro Series Professional software, in my opinion, correctly programmed the Montana State. My problem is with Montana. The programmers in Pro Series are professional.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"My problem is with Montana. The programmers in Pro Series are professional."

Ha ha ha. Okay, then your title was misleading. Because Montana doesn't do programming. Just visit our DMV.

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Pro Series programs the software to assist me with transmitting correct filing. Or my annual $2,500 fee is not responding correctly. I am preparing a letter of appeal to MT quoting Pro Series that nonresident passive income is not taxable to Montana only the resident state of T/P (Alabama).

0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

What does DMV program for Pro Series? Ha, Ha, Ha

Seriously T/P should not have to pay $104 for his passive income, net $2,521, in Montana

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I am preparing a letter of appeal to MT quoting Pro Series that nonresident passive income is not taxable to Montana only the resident state of T/P (Alabama)."

That's not what MT believes.

"Seriously T/P should not have to pay $104 for his passive income, net $2,521, in Montana"

Seriously, are you looking at the material at the link I provided? It seems the farm is in Montana = sourced in state. The MT limit for who needs to file, even as NR, is using their filing status and their Fed income for the minimum of whether their MT source income requires them to file in MT.

So far, you have not disputed anything in that paragraph. Just because they don't live here, is not an excuse.

"You must file a Montana Individual Income Tax return if:

• You were a resident or part-year resident of Montana, or
  • You were a nonresident who received Montana source income, and
  • Your federal gross income, excluding unemployment compensation, meets the Montana filing threshold."
  • Filing Status Under 65 65 and Older
    Single or Married Filing Separately $5,090 $7,800
    Head of Household $10,180 $12,890
    Married Filing Jointly $10,180 Single spouse over 65: $12,890
    Both spouses over 65: $15,600

0 Cheers