Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if I can view a return that I e-filed but no longer have the file for?

headhldhigh44
Level 1

I recently e-filed a clients return, it was accepted, printed out a hard copy for the client and it was completed.  Now 3 weeks later they are attempting to get a loan to buy a home and would like me to send an electronic copy to their loan officer.  Usually, this is no problem.  However, I went to open the file and it is like I never completed the return. There is a ton of errors, none of the info is entered and it looks like a freshly transferred file.  I have no idea what happened.  I tried restoring from my back up that I have sync'd to the computer and it looks the same.  What is funny is that the status shows it "EF Accepted" which it should be as, like I said, it was already done.  It got me to thinking though.  Could there be a file that I could restore from or at the very least view and be able to forward to their loan officer without reconstructing the entire return?  I know I gave them a paper copy and that version could be used if need be.  Any ideas?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Learn from your mistakes and never rely on the program to help you out in the future.  Once the return is done, either keep a paper or pdf copy for future reference.

The client or you can't scan the paper copy that you provided to them to make the loan company happy?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

As far as I know, regulations state that we should give them "a" copy.  "A"  is singular and not plural, therefore it appears to me that you have fulfilled your obligation. I would tell them to use the copy they have.

Camp1040
Level 10

Your client can't verbly request that you send a copy of their tax return to a 3rd party. You need to have a signed copy of that request in your possession. I can't remember the exact penalty, but $25K sticks in my mind.I would do as @PATAX  said!

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I can't remember the exact penalty, but $25K sticks in my mind"

Yeah, you are supposed to get written approval.  But out of curiosity, does anybody have any statistics on how many of those dollars the IRS has collected when a tax preparer provides a copy of a return based on a client's verbal request?  Along the same lines, how did they catch all of those outlaws that have committed that crime against humanity?  Is there a tip line to report those hardened criminals? 😁

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I think that is line item 42,598 in the federal budget!!

When a client requests a copy for a third party, I send it to the client and they can have at it.

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  Those of us not so close to the Canadian border define "verbal" as either oral or written.  But that's beside the point.  I tried to find the penalty for providing a copy without a written request, and all I could find was $25, with a maximum of $10,000 for all violations.  Or $100 with a maximum of $25,000 if related to identity theft.  But those are indexed to inflation.  I might be wrong, because it was a couple days ago that I looked. 

Meanwhile, there is a regulation that says before you give any data to your software company, you have to make sure that they know they are then considered return preparers.  How many of the people who call for technical assistance and allow access to their computers, do this?

"Example 2.
Firm, a tax return preparer, offers income tax return preparation services. Firm's contract with its software provider, Contractor, requires Firm to periodically randomly select certain taxpayers' tax return information solely for the purpose of testing the reliability of the software sold to Firm. Under its agreement with Contractor, Firm discloses tax return information to Contractor's employee, C, who services Firm's contract without providing Contractor or C with a written notice that describes the requirements of and penalties under sections 7216 and 6713. C uses the tax return information solely for quality assurance purposes. Firm's disclosure of tax return information to C was an impermissible disclosure because Firm failed to ensure that C received a written notice that describes the requirements and penalties of sections 7216 and 6713."

IRonMaN
Level 15

So if you are planning on getting caught, you might as well be guilty of over 400 instances since anything over that is free.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN @Camp1040 Why don't they take it a step further, and require that the written statement be notarized?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard they were thinking about adding that or else making the client provide a copy of their library card along with the request.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I'll keep  an eye on my spelling.....