Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Letters

EricaRF
Level 2

HI again! I am creating our own letters - I have figured out how to use the insert codes - however some of them are not getting the data from the clients file - namely the amount of their refund - it comes up with 0.00 - but it is not the correct amount..  I have tried copying from part of the existing letter that works but can not make it work.  what am I missing?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

Here are samples from my own custom letter:

[@FDIEFApp] $<@FDIEFApp> overpayment will be applied to your <@FDINxtYear> estimated taxes.
[@FDIEFDDep] $<@FDIEFRef> overpayment will be refunded.
[@FDIEFDDNo] $<@FDIEFRef> overpayment will be refunded.
[@FDIAppEst] $<@FDIAppEst> overpayment will be applied to your <@FDINxtYear> estimated taxes.
[@FDIEFDwP] $<@FDIEFDwP> balance due payable to the U.S. Treasury.
[@FDINoTax] There is no tax due or refund with this income tax return.
[@FDIEFNoTax] There is no tax due or refund with this income tax return.

I also add in the direct deposit info into my letter.

Please verify. [@FDIBank]<@FDIBank>, routing #[@FDIRTN]<@FDIRTN> and account #[@FDIAcctNo]<@FDIAcctNo>.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
dascpa
Level 11

Refund or balance due items in the Client Letter are dependent upon whether the return is e-filed or mailed in.  There are different codes.  Also make sure you have the proper [ ] and < > arguments listed.

EricaRF
Level 2

I am using a client from 2022 that has efiled - when I use the preformatted letter - there are dollar amounts in them.  When I copy the codes from that letter and insert them into the letter that I am creating it works - but the all the dollar amounts are $0.00.  I am copying directly from the form letter that it has more than $0.00 - I see that there are other "commands codes" near where those dollar amounts are and I have tried copying them as well - but still get $0.00

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Here are samples from my own custom letter:

[@FDIEFApp] $<@FDIEFApp> overpayment will be applied to your <@FDINxtYear> estimated taxes.
[@FDIEFDDep] $<@FDIEFRef> overpayment will be refunded.
[@FDIEFDDNo] $<@FDIEFRef> overpayment will be refunded.
[@FDIAppEst] $<@FDIAppEst> overpayment will be applied to your <@FDINxtYear> estimated taxes.
[@FDIEFDwP] $<@FDIEFDwP> balance due payable to the U.S. Treasury.
[@FDINoTax] There is no tax due or refund with this income tax return.
[@FDIEFNoTax] There is no tax due or refund with this income tax return.

I also add in the direct deposit info into my letter.

Please verify. [@FDIBank]<@FDIBank>, routing #[@FDIRTN]<@FDIRTN> and account #[@FDIAcctNo]<@FDIAcctNo>.

dascpa
Level 11

Also note, you have to verify each year as every once in a while ProSeries changes a code (just to piss us off).

Similar codes for states but I use XXX instead of FDI so it picks up all states.

EricaRF
Level 2

THANK YOU!!!!!!  that did it!

0 Cheers
EricaRF
Level 2

[@FDIAppEst]
Your federal return shows an overpayment of $<@FDIOverpy>. Of this amount, $<@FDIAppEst> will be applied to your <@FDINxtYear> estimates.
[@FDIDirDep]

This paragraph shows the total amount of the refund- when i use $<2FDIOverpy> on my letter it is $0.00.  

I was thinking that [@FDIAppEst] is telling it where to go look for the amount - but it bring up 0.00

this tester client has some being refunded some be use for ES.. What you sent me did take care of those two amounts but not the total amount being refunded.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I'm not going to analyze your codes as I'm headed out of town to go to CPE, but I immediately see $<2FDIOverpy> <-- why is there a 2 in there?

0 Cheers
EricaRF
Level 2

😊I typoed it in here..

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Just remember that many of the codes in the letter are form specific--you can't use the same codes for 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120 or 1120S.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.