Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client did not file form 8606 in prior year 2020 with nondeductible contributions made. Should I amend the prior year to file 8606 now?

carlarcpa
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

A lot of tax preparers have posted similar questions.  There has been no technical answer but in practicality there are returns where the 8606 hasn't been filed in years or decades.  I've always taken the position that where I can, I will do a 8606 for the current year and report the cumulative nondeductible balance on that return. Of course keeping the history workpaper in my file should U. Sam come-a-calling.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
dascpa
Level 11

A lot of tax preparers have posted similar questions.  There has been no technical answer but in practicality there are returns where the 8606 hasn't been filed in years or decades.  I've always taken the position that where I can, I will do a 8606 for the current year and report the cumulative nondeductible balance on that return. Of course keeping the history workpaper in my file should U. Sam come-a-calling.

carlarcpa
Level 2

Thank you.  Sounds like the best way without 'rocking the boat'!!