Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing taxpayer status

ljlukekook
Level 2

I am having problems even asking the question, screen keeps telling me to fix highlighted areas, but nothing is highlighted...?!

My problem is I have client who filed as single in 2019, got married in 2020 and now is the "spouse".  Is there a proseries way to change the status, do I just manually move the taxpayer info to the spouse side on Info Worksheet, or do I create a whole new taxpayer file for the married couple?  I have already transferred the 2019 PS file (as single) to 2020 PS.  Does it mess up the file name now if I use the same file?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Leave them as the TP, or move them to the spouse, you can make the file name be whatever you want.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

I would consider opening up a new file for the married filing joint couple since you did not prepare the taxpayers return last year, i.e. you prepared the wife's return when she was single and now she is the spouse ..If you create a new married filing joint file I believe the new file will be under the husband's name (taxpayer) and Social Security number , so it wouldn't interfere with the wife's data/file from last year. If you do not need the wife's old file/data, then you could just leave it in the system as a separate file if you wish to , I don't think it hurts anything to be there and you may need to reference it .. This is just my opinion.. I am not an expert on this so it is just my opinion, you do what you want to...

ljlukekook
Level 2

What you said makes sense.  The new file would be under the husband's name and his SSN would be the reference.  I just need to re-type the spouse's tax info again, which is what I was hoping to avoid.

Thanks!

PATAX
Level 15

You are welcome... We have to try to help each other...

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Who says your client needs to be the spouse?

Why can't her new mate be the spouse? That is what I have done when a client gets married. My exhisting client is the taxpayer and their spouse is the spouse.

I was unable to find anywhere instructions that define who should be the taxpayer and who should be the spouse.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I generally try and do it this way too, its easier....but Ive had some new husbands with ego issues that want to be listed as the taxpayer, so I try to be accomodating.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Understood.

Some how I have grown older, grouchier, and been doing this a long time. Sometimes I don't wish to be accomodating any more. (and don't have to keep clients I don't want to work with.)

But I do understand.  I don't want to cause problems for a long term clients, just because of their spouse's ego. 

I might tell the egotist that there is a $200 charge to change places on the tax return though, just for satisfaction.!