Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash / Accrual & CPA's Retiring

dascpa
Level 11

New biz client. Tax return reports cash basis but they've actually been using the accrual basis. If I do a 3115 it will have zero effect. Hoping someone will tell me to just change the checkbox to accrual and move on. Opinions?

In 9 days have been referred to three new business clients as their accountant is retiring (3 different accountants). One got a new girlfriend and wants to spend her money, two is ill and three just wants out.  Weird coincidence in a little over a week.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

just change the checkbox to accrual and move on              

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll second that.  I'll even third and fourth it if it helps.

Slava Ukraini!
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

I think if you read the fine print somewhere it's the actual accounting method that the business has been using (even if wrong) that drives the bus (i.e., sets the policy - that's not to say it's an acceptable method but yours may be).....so a change to a correct/intended method might actually require approval.  Devil's in the details....see the literature.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

The bus has already been running on accrual fuel.  The fuel injectors have never tasted cash basis fuel.  There is nothing to change to --------- other than a silly little box.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I'll second that.  I'll even third and fourth it if it helps.

I'll fifth it.  😁

If the numbers on the tax returns have always reported it in the accrual method, that is already the accounting method (despite what the check box shows), so Form 3115 does not apply.

PATAX
Level 15

Nerdman will sixth it and Heidi will seventh it.🐕👆