Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I select automatic extension until June 15 in proseries?

sgh124
Level 1
My client is overseas and I want to mention that he is eligible for the June 15 automatic extension. How can I select that in Proseries?
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Who do you want to mention it to  - IRS?   Why do you want to mention it ? - it is October already.  Did you complete F4868 to extend the return until October 15 ? 

Entering the taxpayer's overseas address should tell IRS they are overseas.  

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

sgh124
Level 1

Generally other tax software that I have used in the past has a checkbox or dropdown option to indicate that the taxpayer was abroad as on April 15. This also prints "TAXPAYER ABROAD" on top of Form 1040 and adds a statement at the end of the return copy. Does ProSeries has such options? 

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I don't believe ProSeries has that option, I'm not sure why that is necessary, do you have a source showing the need.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., on the regular due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15. If you qualify for this 2-month extension, penalties for paying any tax late are assessed from the 2-month extended due date of the payment (June 15 for calendar year taxpayers). However, even if you are allowed an extension, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return (April 15 for calendar year taxpayers).

Link: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad

randyc
Level 1

My answer is too late for you but I'm putting it here for future reference. To get the automatic 2-month extension for living abroad, there is a quickzoom box under the taxpayer address in the 1040 worksheet that takes you to fill in the required attached statement per Treasury Reg 1.6081-5.

taxsoftware
Level 3

0 Cheers
taxsoftware
Level 3

It IS necessary to qualify for the extension to attach a statement, and ProSeries is the only program that doesn't seem to do this automatically.  Heck, even TurboTax can do it.   By October you might think 4868 has been filed but many a client has walked in my door late in the year to start the process and it matters that you make the note that they qualify for the 6/15 filing date.  Their address is meaningless for this, as many may live abroad but use a US address for mail or lived abroad on 6/15 of the prior year but no longer do.  

0 Cheers