Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim earnings reported on 1099-q as income in order to qualify for AOC?

karen0224
Level 2

ProSeries Basic is including the earnings from two 1099-Q's as other income and generating the full AOC.  This is generating a better result but I don't know if this is correct or if I entered something incorrectly.  I was expecting the software to not generate the AOC credit since the distributions from the 1099-Q's fully covered the tuition less scholarship.  I did two 1099-Q forms, one 1098-T, and the student information form.  Thanks for your answers in advance!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You did something wrong. If the total distributions were used to pay qualified edcucation expenses your input for the amount of education exps must be wrong.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9
Yes the program is correct.  You are much better off claiming the earnings as income and taking the education credit than the other way around.  You can only use the net tuition/books amount once but it does not matter which one you choose.  Make sure the line on the student info sheet that says amount used for credit only reads $4,000 so the remainder of the tuition can help offset the 1099-Q's.  Sometimes Proseries fills this line in automatically wrong.
0 Cheers
karen0224
Level 2
Thank you so much!  I was guessing it was ok but when I researched this option I couldn't find any info on filing this way.  
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You did something wrong. If the total distributions were used to pay qualified edcucation expenses your input for the amount of education exps must be wrong.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Or what @taxiowa said

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers