Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat Sales Tax

Hello Community, 

Today, I had my first client tell me that, yes, they had purchased a boat last year. My state has a Sales Tax Credit Trade-In Program, is that why that question is on the Client Questionnaire? 

Happy Weekend, 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have no idea what a "Sales Tax Credit Trade-In Program" is, but sales tax for large items (such as the boat) can be added to the sale tax deduction if you are itemizing deductions on Schedule A. 

However, if you live in a state with income tax, it is quite possible that the itemized state income tax deduction would be larger than the sales tax deduction, in which case the sales tax deduction would not reduce taxes.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have no idea what a "Sales Tax Credit Trade-In Program" is, but sales tax for large items (such as the boat) can be added to the sale tax deduction if you are itemizing deductions on Schedule A. 

However, if you live in a state with income tax, it is quite possible that the itemized state income tax deduction would be larger than the sales tax deduction, in which case the sales tax deduction would not reduce taxes.

Ah, that does make sense. I'm sure I was complicating it!  Been a long week! 😉 

Have a great weekend, 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I'm intrigued: "In 41 states you can get a tax credit in when you trade-in your car if you buy another at the same time."

You only pay sales tax on the Net purchase.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.