Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audit - First time abatement available for penalties?

h0250722
Level 3

A client (C Corp) of mine is currently audited because he did not file 1042S and did not pay withholding taxes. The IRS now requires failure to file/pay/deposit. I was wondering if the first time abatement relief would apply to this case? He was never late on anything before.

Or are first time abatements generally not granted during an audit?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

That's not the usual return where penalty relief is requested, nor is an audit the usual place where it is brought up.  But I don't see anything preventing it.  Are you working with a real auditor, or is this just faceless correspondence from a Service Center?

https://www.irs.gov/payments/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-abate-or-other-administrative-waiver 

h0250722
Level 3

Real auditor. She is new, so she said she has to check with the manager - which usually means it takes another 3 months until I hear back...

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

This is a question for the IRS.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@h0250722  Like all questions for IRS, you could ask three different people there and get three different answers.  

h0250722
Level 3

Correct. And it usually takes them 3 months to come up with an answer and I just try to avoid any more penalties ... They are just so slow...

0 Cheers