Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amendment

boobet
Level 3

Can any one help?  I did an amendment and I cannot get it efiled.

Error Detail:
Submission must not be a duplicate of a previously accepted submission.
Error Resolution:
This return was rejected by the IRS because a return for this taxpayer has already been electronically filed and accepted. Verify that the taxpayer's SSN or TIN has been accurately entered, and verify that the taxpayer has not already filed their return for the current tax year. If necessary, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for further guidance.

If you cannot resolve this problem, you will need to print and file this return by mail.
If you need to correct the tax return originally filed, you must file an Amended Return.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like its trying to submit the 1040 again thats already been accepted.

Go out to the EFCenter, Pending Tab and only highlight the Federal Amended Return line, then click EFNow.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If you did not efile the original return you will probably have to paperfile the 1040x

if you did efile the 1040, be sure you’re following the 1040x preparation workflow. You can find it in the help files…. If you’re still stuck try customer support. It’s a pretty straightforward process

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
hcliston
Level 4

Thanks for trying to help that person--but I'm having a similar problem and changing the SSN does not help.

I submitted an amended return and it was rejected because of a minor issue. I fixed that and submitted again. Now it's rejected because it's a duplicate.  

The error message says "This submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received. Please contact customer support."

I've been searching for a week now and cannot find any way to contact something called "customer support."  Is there a phone #?

Or does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thank you!

0 Cheers
darrentaxsmart
Level 1

Here's how to resolve this issue:

1) Open file for tax return

2) Uncheck "File Federal Return electronically" located under Part VI

3) Scroll up and click E-File, then "Transmit Returns/Extensions/Payments"

4) The Option to File Federal Amended Return should now appear. Check the box and click Ok

5) The Software will then take you to EF Dashboard where you will be asked "Do you want too continue with the convert/transmit process?" Click No

6) On the EF Dashboard make sure the federal amended return you want to file is highlighted, then scroll up click EF Now icon.

7) An Electronic Filing Option prompt box will appear, make sure to check "Convert and Transmit Selected returns/extensions/payments" and uncheck "Enable conversion error checking

😎 You will then be able to E-File the rejected amended return.