Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401k and solo 401k employer contribution

Nancy9
Level 3

Person is an employee at company "X".  Has deferred 401k of $19500.  She is also the owner of a single member LLC company "Y" and has a solo 401k plan.  Can she still contribute the employer side of the contribution for company Y?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

"This $57,000 limit is not reduced by the elective deferrals Greg made under his employer’s plan because the limit on annual additions applies to each plan separately"

I'm not sure if that is correct.

But the basic answer to your question is yes client can contribute to his solo 401(k).

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes.

Ex-AllStar
Nancy9
Level 3

Any reference you can point me too?  All I can find is the employee side.

0 Cheers
Nancy9
Level 3

NEVER MIND I FOUND IT.  THANKS FOR RESPONDING IT GAVE ME THE PUSH TO LOOK FURTHER.  ACTUALLY FOUND IT RIGHT ON THE IRS WEBSITE.

Example 1: In 2020, Greg, 46, is employed by an employer with a 401(k) plan, and he also works as an independent contractor for an unrelated business and sets up a solo 401(k). Greg contributes the maximum amount to his employer’s 401(k) plan for 2020, $19,500. He would also like to contribute the maximum amount to his solo 401(k) plan. He is not able to make further elective deferrals to his solo 401(k) plan because he has already contributed his personal maximum, $19,500. He would also like to contribute the maximum amount to his solo 401(k) plan.

Greg is not able to make further elective salary deferrals to his solo 401(k) plan because he has already contributed his personal maximum, $19,500, to his employer’s plan. However, he has enough earned income from his business to contribute the overall maximum for the year, $57,000. Greg can make a nonelective contribution of $57,000 to his solo 401(k) plan. This $57,000 limit is not reduced by the elective deferrals Greg made under his employer’s plan because the limit on annual additions applies to each plan separately.

sjrcpa
Level 15

"This $57,000 limit is not reduced by the elective deferrals Greg made under his employer’s plan because the limit on annual additions applies to each plan separately"

I'm not sure if that is correct.

But the basic answer to your question is yes client can contribute to his solo 401(k).

Ex-AllStar