Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120S California Filing

blkmichael
Level 1

I am trying to file an 1120S for a California client and it is requiring their "CA Corp No."; the owner claims they have a secretary of state file number but not the California corp number. Based on my research, businesses are assigned either a ca corp number or SoS file number; does anyone know why this one is required to electronically file?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

CA corporation filing requires either the SOS number (12 digits) or the Corporation number (7 digits).

SOS numbers begin with the year of formation (either 19xx or 20xx, for now), thus SOS numbers begin with either 19 or 20.

When a corporations files its articles at the SOS, the articles would be endorsed by SOS and a seven digit number is assigned.  That is technically a corporation number, though some would consider it an "SOS" number because it's assigned by the SOS.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
blkmichael
Level 1

Thanks for the response! So I am clear with what you are saying, would only a portion of the SOS number be the CA Corp Number. As I indicated in my previous post, the owner said they only know of the 12 digit number being assigned, so should I just be using the last 7 digits of this?

0 Cheers