Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120S filing when Form 2553 has not been accepted by IRS

bryce
Level 3

I have a new client who is a single member LLC. We filed Form 2553 in September 2021 and indicated that the client was unaware of the filing requirement for form 2552. We have not heard anything back from the IRS. 

I tried to extended the return just now and got an error. The return is finished. I was only extending because his personal is not finished and wanted the client to only have to come in one time to sign.

Is your suggestion to prepare a paper return (1120s) and attach 2552 with FILED PURSUANT TO REV. PROC. 2013-30 on the top of it?  Would mail before 3/15/22.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

I would mail the extension and wait for a response on the F2553 filing.

IRonMaN
Level 15

We had two returns two years ago that we filed extensions for that bounced.  We paper filed both returns with the sub S election.  We tried e-filing the returns last year and both bounced.  So we paper filed the 1120S returns once again.  The other day I filed extensions for both entities.  One cleared and one bounced.  Evidently the IRS has made a dent in their pile, but not a very big dent.

Slava Ukraini!
bryce
Level 3

So paper filing with a form 2553 attached in essence worked, but they are just still working through the massive pile.

The personal return with the K1 was efiled successfully?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I faxed in two 2553s in early 2021 and received letters in approx 3 months.    Did you fax or mail?

bryce
Level 3

In SEP 2021, I did both (fax and mail).  I faxed again in early Feb 2022 since I had not heard anything and figured I was now in the filing period for 2022.

bryce
Level 3

Thanks!