Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 R Early Distribution

Adri
Level 3

Client received Form 1099 R, Taxable amount of distribution is $197K, Dist. code is 1 Early withdrawl     He is Not 55. Have checked all exceptions to early distribution and he doesn't qualify for any.  Even though he had $39K federal income withheld, he still owes $26K in taxes because he has employment income   Is there any provision, brake, law or anything to reduce that $ 26K?    

I would appreciate any input that your experience can answer ..... thanks 

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nope, he owes $26K

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

We need more details.

"Client received Form 1099 R,"

From what sort of account or employer plan or lump sum from pension or inherited something? Or insurance policy payout? Or...?

"Taxable amount of distribution is $197K,"

As compared to what sort of pay and/or AGI? Needs perspective.

"Dist. code is 1 Early withdrawl     He is Not 55."

Or 59 1/2? Or still employed or no longer employed at that employer? Different provisions, different ages apply.

"Have checked all exceptions to early distribution and he doesn't qualify for any.  Even though he had $39K federal income withheld,"

Against possible tax owed. Not Tax withheld, but prepayment, the same as payroll withholding and estimates payments 1040-ES are not Tax; they're payments.

"he still owes $26K in taxes because he has employment income"

Because his reported financial picture means that the 1099-R withholding + his payroll withholding didn't meet his tax liability. Let's give this some perspective. It could have, if that was the bulk of his taxable income that tax year. There is a flat 20% by default, but his tax rate is his based on the entire 1040 financial reporting.

"Is there any provision, brake, law or anything to reduce that $ 26K?"

You're asking to reduce his balance owed and not his total tax owed?

You would reduce the amount owed with the return by paying more throughout the year, via withholding and estimated payments.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

He should have had more income tax withheld when he received the distribution.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

fairly common situation, a retirement account is a terribly expensive  place to get money from if youre not of retirement age.

Why did he take out so much money without consulting a tax professional beforehand?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 👍 I agree with you Lisa. Also I believe that they are not required to withhold income tax from an IRA distribution, but they are required to withhold from company pensions and so forth. This year I had a client that took out well over $50,000 from his IRA, and they only withheld $1,000 in federal income tax. So I told him he should have had more tax taken out.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"are not required to withhold income tax from an IRA distribution"

Default is 10% if not being directly rolled or transferred or converted, for nonperiodic payments. Unless you elect otherwise on your distribution request form.

PATAX
Level 15

@qbteachmt Thanks for the information QB. I guess the aforementioned client Pinocchio wasn't completely accurate.

BobKamman
Level 15

Probably does not apply, but since no one else has mentioned it -- retirees from public safety jobs (police and fire, mostly) with deferred compensation accounts can take distributions at age 50  without penalty.  I had one client who had to fight the trustee several years in a row to have the code changed from a 1 to a 2.   I don't trust IRS to accept Form 5329 codes without an audit. 

And then there is the fairly new, "Distributions due to terminal illness. Distributions that are made on or after the date on which your physician has certified that you have a terminal illness or physical condition that can reasonably be expected to result in death in 84 months or less after the date of the certification. See Notice 2024-02."

qbteachmt
Level 15

I just look up everything fresh, now. There have been so many changes from before, during, and after covid-19, the two SECURE Acts, the Social Security moving targets. Heck, just last week I tried to update my own RMD year/age and needed to research that one, since it has changed/is changing over the next few years. I put the date and values table into my Excel sheet years ago, and did the "2 SS, file and suspend, delay until 70" analysis, and now, nothing there applies.

PATAX
Level 15

The retirement account administrators, especially the banks, need to step up, and start hiring more qualified people who will help individuals before they make a withdrawal. They're the ones that made the money on the account. The last time I checked Mr Nerdman and Heidi did not make money on someone's retirement account. Let the retirement account administrator do their job, and let their customers know what the rules are.

Adri
Level 3

Thank you! 

Adri
Level 3

Thank you and yes, more information is needed.  

Adri
Level 3

thank you. 

Adri
Level 3

Yes, it would have taken just a phone call unfortunately he didn't .   thank you .