Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 SUPERSEDING RETURN

gary1861
Level 4

I need to file a superseding return for an individual.  I recall the ProSeries What's new said it was done differently than an amended return.  When I "Ask ProSeries" in the program it provides bogus/wrong answers from years ago (i.e. you can't e-file an amended return or superseding return).  It seemed that it was simple to do, but that was months ago and I don't recall the process.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

1040X filed prior to the due date is processed as a superseded return anyhow, theres really no difference.

If you open the return and then go to forms and grab the 1040X, the 2022 checkbox at the top of it says 2022 or Superseded.  Mark that box, make your changes then go to the Fed Info Worksheet and check the EF Superseded return box

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I don't have a citation for this, but I have something stuck in my head that Intuit said it would be available in late February (or maybe even March???).

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just EFiled a 2022 superseded return on Thursday, no problems. 

It uses the 1040X form, and calls it superseded 1040X. 

0 Cheers
gary1861
Level 4

So you just did it like you would do an amended return?  I thought the webinar I attended said it was different than an amended return.  In prior years I did a 1040X, but wrote superseding on the top line.  I should have taken better notes.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

1040X filed prior to the due date is processed as a superseded return anyhow, theres really no difference.

If you open the return and then go to forms and grab the 1040X, the 2022 checkbox at the top of it says 2022 or Superseded.  Mark that box, make your changes then go to the Fed Info Worksheet and check the EF Superseded return box

gary1861
Level 4

Thank you.  So that is the change.  In the past I made a copy of the original return (in most cases they were post 4/15), did you do that on your superseding return as well?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I never make a computer file copy, Ive got a print out and/or a pdf, I don't need a computer file copy of the wrong return to get mixed up anywhere.   

I use the original return with the original file name that I'll be transferring to the next year.

Seems like when a copy gets in the mix, people have issues, Ive never once had a problem with an amended return being able to be EFiled.

gary1861
Level 4

I understand - again that isn't what ProSeries said in the past.  Thank you again.  I appreciate your comments and help.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The ProSeries instructions were confusing and messed a bunch of people up, I keep it simple.