Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Taxpayer's name is being truncated in the e-file" - my taxpayer has only 9 characters in the "First Name & Initial" box. Why am I getting this warning?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

If that's not a critical diagnostic and you're sure everything on the return is correct, you should be able to ignore the informational diagnostic and e-file.

If you'd like to find out more about IRS' name control, you may like to refer to this post:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-discussions/discussion/re-there-seems-to-be-a...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

ProConnect is mapping the input of "Last name" field to the "First Name and Initial" field on the Form 1040. Review the Form 1040 in the Check Return tab to see the issue. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

No one has reported this issue, at least on this forum.  And I haven't seen this on our returns.

You may like to check your input again, delete your entries, and if the problem persists, send the return to Intuit to have them look at it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers

Take a look at the Form 1040 in your Check Return tab. The last name inputs from your Input Return tab direct to the First Name field on the Form 1040. Called Intuit three times, all three confirmed.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@neel-sodha-knigh wrote:

Take a look at the Form 1040 in your Check Return tab. The last name inputs from your Input Return tab direct to the First Name field on the Form 1040. Called Intuit three times, all three confirmed.

Just where in Check Return do you see that?  What you see there is not a graphical presentation of the tax return and not the XML that will be transmitted.

As mentioned, it is likely an isolated problem with this particular tax return of yours.  If Intuit did map first and last names in reverse, you would expect close to 100% of the returns to fail the name control validation and be rejected but this is apparently not the case.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers