Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMLLC to be taxed as an S Corporation

TCl123
Level 2

I have a client who is a SMLLC and has completed Form 2553, to be taxed as an S Corporation; from what i am reading it looks like it is pretty simple; however, I want to ensure that the entries to move the Balance Sheet items over to the S Corporation are done correctly.  Do you have any insight into this that you would be so kind to share with me?  I am completing a 351 Transfer Statement to include with the tax returns.  From what I have read, I will basically start with a zero Beginning Balance Sheet and reflect the transfer Amount as an M-2 Other Additions for the Balances transferred from the SMLLC books.  Does this make sense to you?

Thank you so much!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
qbteachmt
Level 15

Effective when? Which tax year are you working on now?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TCl123
Level 2

Effective 1.1.2023 - 2023 Tax Year

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

What transfer?  The entity hasn’t changed other than what tax form it files.

Slava Ukraini!
TCl123
Level 2

I have read differing ways of handling this.  One suggested the 351 to reflect the transferring in of the basis to the S Corporation.  So, are you saying that all that I need to do is record the M-1 addition for the basis transferred over and continue on?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

My beginning balance sheet would be the same as the prior year ending balance sheet.

Slava Ukraini!
TCl123
Level 2

I have been struggling to find anything specific on this and since I would need to reflect this as a first year S corporation tax return, I had thought that I would not reflect beginning balances.  I do not want to cause any issues. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But the entity did have beginning balances and the entity itself is still the same entity.

Slava Ukraini!
TCl123
Level 2

That is totally correct.  Do you think that I need to attach a statement or something to the return to prevent any questions or issues.  It should be pretty straight forward since the 2553 was approved.  I think that I am totally just over thinking it.  Thank you!

IRonMaN
Level 15

The accepted 2553 says it all - no additional attachments necessary.  Time to give your brain a rest from all of that thinking you have been doing 😉

Slava Ukraini!
TCl123
Level 2

Thank you so much!

The First Year S Corp Return and the idea of Beginning Balances being reflected is what did me in.  LOL  Thank you again!  🙂

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!