Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am only preparing my retun and my relatives, can I efile with proconnect or do I have to have the paid preparer authorization?

Level 2
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Level 15

You can, but you will need an EFIN.

Level 15

If you're not a tax professional, you really shouldn't be using any professional tax software because (1) these programs, by design, generally require much more technical knowledge to operate and (2) you will not be able to e-file any return, not even your own, without an EFIN, which the IRS only issues to tax professionals who apply for it through an extensive process.


Still an AllStar
Level 2

ok thanks.  I am retired, but have continued to use proconnect which I am comfortable with.,'

You are indicating that it is not possible to send without EFIN.

Too late to apply for this year so I will just mail in.

Will check with Intuit if I should migrate to another product (e.g., TurboTax) if I would allow me to send via efile.


Level 15

Start the EFIN process now so that you are ready to go in the future. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/become-an-authorized-e-file-provider


Here's wishing you many Happy Returns