Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonresidents' investment income and state return

puravidapto
Level 7

TaxGuyBill et al: 

For nonresidents, stocks, dividends are reported on Schedule NEC on federal return, and only the tax amount is transferred to the main form 1040-NR. Interests are not reported.

However, even if a taxpayer is a nonresident federally, she may well be a resident for the state. Because her investments are not reported on Schedule B and D, the income and loss are not transferred to the states. How do you solve the problem? This question can be divided to to sub-questions:

1 - How the investment income or loss should be treated in theory?
2 - How do you implement the treatment in Proconnect software?

You can pick a state to address the issue if things become state specific. Thanks. 

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have no idea.  😂

I know the basic framework of Nonresident Aliens, but I generally do accept them as clients because there are too many things to know, and I don't want to focus my business in that direction.

But I would almost think it NEEDS to be state-specific.  Each state may do it differently.  However, I tried looking at how to do it for my state (Minnesota) and at first glance nothing is set up to do that.

0 Cheers