Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ real estate tax deduction not carrying to return

JeremyNJ
Level 3

Very often I find the taxes paid on primary residence does not carry to the NJ return.  I typically spend way too much time trying to figure it out because I'd rather it just carry correctly instead of me entering an override, but usually just end up entering an override.  Anyone have any insight here?

Here is what I have entered:

On the general info page I have the municipality entered, in deductions I have the taxes entered under primary residence, under State & Local - other credits, I have Homeowner indicated, and under NJ Property Tax Deduction/Credit I have the block and lot number entered.

Still nothing making it to the NJ return.  If I indicate Force and the amount on the Property Tax Deduction/Credit page, then everything else populates on the NJ-1040 and appears as it should.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
itonewbie
Level 15

It flows automatically on mine.  Did you check that your client qualifies and whether it's for deduction or credit?

So long as all the relevant entries are made, PTO would determine the proper treatment and flow the details to NJ-1040 without you having to enter 2=force.  Checking the diagnostics should help resolve most of these issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
JeremyNJ
Level 3

I agree, PTO should flow it automatically.  I used the chat help today and sent the representative the return I was working on.  She tried for 40 minutes and the best she could come up with add it to the state screen in the section that you would add it if it is different from the Federal.  I'm trying to avoid entering it twice or do any other manual action in addition to the proper place to enter it.

Since this happens somewhat frequently on a number of returns, I wonder if it is some problem with the files when the clients/returns were created when my data was converted from UltraTax a couple of years ago.

itonewbie
Level 15

Conversion could possibly be the cause since you can't see what got fed into the system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
steven3810
Level 2

I have this exact problem.  I think I should just get in the habit of automatically entering it on the NJ input.

Some clients it works on some it does not.   Nothing different on how the client is setup, etc.

0 Cheers
JeremyNJ
Level 3

Yes, get into the habit of entering it automatically.  I also make sure I review the tax summary page for the Fed and state return since the prior year comparison is a great way to easily recognize if something like that is missing.  Either way, it is a really annoying thing.

PODW4444
Level 3

YES .....  THIS IS A PAIN IN YOU KNOW WHAT ......................................

JEREMY   LOVE YOUR Q AND OUR CONCERN W PTO ....

it is mostly hit and miss with this nj real estate tax being entered as fed itemized deduction ...........perfect at listing on sch a federal sch a .................................

then why 95 percent of time do we need to remember to separately go to state and local and enter the status of homeowner     and the force the property tax paid on the state of nj ............?????

A PAIN IN THE ...........................................................

The only time time the program carries the nj re tax to the nj return automatically is when 

the return is a multi state return and the fed entry lists the nj as source entry .....................full yr resident of NJ..............................

huh .............MAYBE WE should start our return as a multi state return .....................???????????????

today i am working that same type of return where the nj tax does not carry to the nj return automatically ..............

EMBARRASSING when we miss that deduction in 2021 and see it when we file the 2022 return ........

I HAVE a divorcing couple that it has happened to in that same scenario ....SURE tell the divorcing couple at odds over everything ..................yeah right .................!!!   

file an amendment and have to split a 350 dollar check .............???/      or ?????????????

i let the one spouse know ............wasn't worth the addl communication issues ............

PTO help us out ...........................

0 Cheers
PODW4444
Level 3

jeremy   for the 2023 tax filing season   i just got in the habit of checking the nj summary page ....BUT WHY NO ASSIST FROM PTO ...................................

program is real good .............community great   call back from live persons great....much better then last yrs chat online ......................MUCH BETTER ................even though we made the online chat work well  and i thought i was to miss that when i heard of changes ..................

0 Cheers
PODW4444
Level 3

THREE CHEERS for the PTO live caal back crew i spoke with during 2023 tax season ... three cheers out of 3 cheers ........................

approx 15 concerns which  i learned a ton from ......................................

KATHRYN yesterday was real impressive once i showed her my screen  w smart look ..................

0 Cheers
PODW4444
Level 3

1:10 pm 4/29/2023.................

A SOLUTION THAT PTO NEEDS TO CONSIDER ...................

i went to my simple fed nj tax return     in gen info i listed my client as multi state ....

when i went to fed item tax deduction .... the real estate taxes were alredy prompted as NJ source ... 

NJ RETURN AUTO CARRIED the deduction to the nj return ......................

Q   FOR  PTO     SOLUTION ?????????????????

0 Cheers
steven3810
Level 2

Thank you PODW4444 for figuring out when it worked; it was driving me nuts if it was random luck or whatever programming glitch...   I only do about 15 returns; one of course is mine.  I live in NJ but work in NY so my property tax deduction always came through nicely from just the federal input.  Most of my clients do both live and work in NJ (so only have 1 state) so it was not coming through; interesting, but yes still a pain in the ***.

PODW4444
Level 3

Thanks steven    ........................my solution is a rigged solution ... 

it does work : however , PTO should give us preparers a final fix .......................

multi state return works fine .. single fed and nj .........as jeremy noted , best to get in habit of checking the nj summary page to verify the nj real estate tax deduction reduces taxable income - NJ......

WHEW ....................

0 Cheers
PODW4444
Level 3

LOOK ME UP IN GREEN BROOK NJ .........WORK SOME NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS W US ............

Paul O'Dwyer CPA

0 Cheers
JeremyNJ
Level 3

Yes, I've been just making sure to review the NJ summary but it is still frustrating and having to go back and force the deduction is something I don't want to have to do.  I believe it is flowing correctly for new returns that I create, but not for ones that I converted over from my previous software provider.  But I can't say that for sure since I haven't been tracking it as well as you have.  

PODW4444
Level 3

will check your new angle that new client entries flow properly from fed sch a real estate taxes to NJ REAL ESTATE TAX deduction line on form NJ1040 .........................

WHEW .. WE SHALL SEE ... 

0 Cheers
steven3810
Level 2

Will do; I can give you a call if that is ok.  Thanks, Steven

0 Cheers