Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inputting Prior Year's Tax Refund

GLReneau
Level 2

Where do I input a tax refund from the prior year to the current year return? I tried inputting on screen 7.1 but it doesn't flow on to Line 26 of the next year's 1040. I was then told I have to input this information manually. Could someone tell me how to do that - thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Select Lacerte when you start in this forum. Use a short phrase "state tax refund" in the search. Hopefully this strategy can actually find an answer for you, such as https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/form-1099-g/state-local-refunds-taxable-wo...

If not then, post the question like you did, but try to select Lacerte first.

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

#1 Question = Is it a taxable income. You should be able to determine that. If it is not taxable, don't bother. If it is taxable then I really need to know which software you are using. You posted as ProConnect, but your question hints that it might be Lacerte. Which is it?

GLReneau
Level 2

Apologies - first time using the Community and now I see I should have posted to Lacerte. To answer your question "Is it a taxable income?" I'm not sure I understand. I'm asking how to apply a refund from one year to the next year's return.

TaxPandaCPA
Level 4

To properly handle a tax refund from the prior year on your current tax return, especially when using tax software, here's how you can input it manually:

Understanding Line 26 of Form 1040: Line 26 is for reporting taxable refunds of state and local income taxes from the previous year. The refund is only taxable if you itemized deductions in the prior year and benefited from the deduction of state and local taxes.

Manual Entry of the Refund:

If the tax software does not automatically carry over the refund to Line 26, you need to manually input the amount.
Look for the section labeled "Other Income" or "State and Local Tax Refunds" in the income section of the software. This is usually where you would manually enter the taxable portion of the refund.
Steps for Manual Input:

Go to the "Income" section of your tax return.
Find "Taxable Refunds, Credits, or Offsets of State and Local Income Taxes" (this is the entry corresponding to Line 26).
Manually enter the refund amount that should be taxable.
Additional Guidance:

If the refund isn't showing up on the correct line after inputting on screen 7.1, double-check that it's marked as "taxable" and that the software recognizes it as income from the prior year.
Confirm that you are not overlooking any settings or checkboxes in your tax software that might affect how it flows through to the Form 1040.

If you need guidance specific to the tax software you're using, let me know which one it is, and I can provide more detailed instructions!

Hope it helps. Thank you in advance for marking mine as your "BEST answer"!
0 Cheers
GLReneau
Level 2

Thanks for the response back. Yes, it's Lacerte tax software.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Select Lacerte when you start in this forum. Use a short phrase "state tax refund" in the search. Hopefully this strategy can actually find an answer for you, such as https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/form-1099-g/state-local-refunds-taxable-wo...

If not then, post the question like you did, but try to select Lacerte first.

GLReneau
Level 2

Thanks for the help and guidance - will do.

abctax55
Level 15

Screen 6 - Estimated Tax Payments.  Up at the top, third line down  - enter the amount applied from the prior year.

Screen 24(?)  14.2  -  That's where the 'refund' (and it is a refund, even if applied to the following year) is listed IF it's taxable.  I like to list the refund anyway with the detail of why it's not taxable for documentation.  Lacerte creates a worksheet on this that carries all the info from the prior year.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"