Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the IRS accept cash payments?

I never thought about cash payments to the IRS.  I'm looking at a bank statement for a deceased individual and I see a check copy made to Cash with IRS in the Memo.

Does the IRS accept cash payments?

We have no other info except bank statements.  I think there is no way to verify it except for me to get POA and look at transcripts.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

It is amazing what you can find with Google.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-your-taxes-with-cash

Still the best receipt would be a account transcript.

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
sjrcpa
Level 15

They used to if you walked into an IRS office.

Cannabis businesses have to pay that way so I guess they still do.

Look at the back of the cancelled check. Even if it was written to cash and sent to IRS they would still cash it I bet.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

If it's on a Statement, it was cashed and cleared. Unless you suspect fraud (on the endorsement), then it got accepted.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I heard the IRS likes to collect cash payments ------------- that way they don't have to report it as income 😜

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I think cannabis businesses use Post Office money orders.

My clients (same ones who are going to Italy) live less than a mile from the only IRS office in Phoenix.  For exercise, they walk there to make payments and file their tax returns.  But with checks, not cash.  I pointed out that they have to go through security to get inside, but they said it's no worse than the airport.   

At least TSA has Pre-Check.  IRS should have a program like that, for custodial parents who clearly qualify for EIC and don't have a history of audit changes.  Sign up in November, then don't wait six months for your refund.