Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you attach a pdf to a Form 1040X and efile it

ginamarie7
Level 3

Hello,

We recently got a new client and need to amend their 2019 Form 1040. Can we attach backup documents to show our reasoning behind the amended return to the 2019 Form 1040X when we efile it? Thanks

Gina

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't know but what's wrong with using the Reason for Amending part of the 1040X?

And, I don't think you can efile the amended return if you did not prepare and efile the original return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ginamarie7
Level 3

Hello,

We did put a reason explaining why we were amending, we want to attach backup material from the college proving they put the tuition to the school.  The original return was efiled by a different accountant. We just recreated the return so we could prepare the amended return. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It sounds like you  want to submit something to reduce the risk of audit. That has an assumption that the attachment is actually looked at by anyone.

You would attach just like with a regular return and direct it to be with whatever form the original 1040 would be attached to. 

Sounds as if you did not get a 1098-T and want to support what should have been on it. It would be better to get the client to contact the college and get a 1098-t.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Unlike original returns, amended returns are looked at by someone, sometimes more than once.  But this return has to be paper filed because the original was not e-filed by the same preparer (an Intuit rule, not an IRS rule).  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Ah! I missed the new client. Hence the attachment will use a standard or maybe heavy duty staple. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
ginamarie7
Level 3

Thanks for the info but I attached the pdf and was able to efile the Amended return and it was Accepted by the IRS even though we weren't the original accountant. So we'll just see from there what happens. Thanks