Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1042-S withholding to line 25C on Form 1040

Angela-Hazelton
Level 1

Taxpayer, a US citizen, receives Form 1042-S reporting income tax withholding from dividend income. 

If I input on screen 58.2 in 1042-S information then I get a diagnostic that this is only for Form 1040NR and the information does not flow to the Form 1040.

If I input on screen 58.2 in RRB-1042S/SSA-1042S, which isn't correct because this is withholding on dividend income, not SSA or RRB, but it will flow to the correct line of the Form 1040, but then I get the diagnostics to:

1.  A PDF with a description of "signed declaration" is required when Form RRB-1042S or Form SSA-1042S is included in the electronic return for the taxpayer.  Please attach the desired PDF file.

2.  A PDF with a description of "green card" is required when Form RRB-1042S or Form SSA-1042S is included in the return for the taxpayer.  Please attach the desired PDF File.

Which as I mentioned this is not RRB or SSA income, and I especially don't want to follow #2 because this is a US citizen, not a green card holder.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

The problem is that taxpayer shouldn't be getting a 1042-S. He should be getting a 1099. He has not supplied the correct paperwork to the payor. If the withholding is piddly, client and I agree to ignore it. If not, I enter as 1099 withholding, attach statement that it is from 1042-S and wait for the IRS notice(s).

Ex-AllStar
Angela-Hazelton
Level 1

I agree with you that he should have received a 1099, and he has submitted the correct paperwork to Morgan Stanley, but here we are with another 1042-S.  I was considering doing what you mention, thanks for the feedback, it is helpful.