Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irrevocable Trust and 645 election

Decedent and grantor died March 30, 2023.  The trust has become irrevocable, and it has been funded with stocks. An EIN has been granted.  No distributions have been made.

1.  I am thinking of making the 645 election so that a Fiscal Year can be elected in order to more time to prepare the tax return. But if there is no estate tax return required, can a 645 election be made?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes, you can still make the 645 election. All the ones I've had recently, both the trust and estate already had an EIN by the time I got involved; I'd have to re-read the instructions to see if you need to get an estate EIN as well as the trust EIN.

The advantages I see to the election are: 1) better chance that you'll be able to file a first-and-final return and 2) the benes get an extra year to pay the tax. I hate fiscal year entities that are ongoing; they need extensions at times I'm not thinking about extensions, and guesses as to how much of the dividends will end up being qualified.

If it were my client, my advice would be to try to get everything wrapped up by 12/31 if possible. 

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5

The Tax Adviser has my answer. Bolded.

Sec. 645 election will remain in force for (1) two years if no estate tax return is required to be filed, or (2) the earlier of the date the trust and estate have distributed all of their assets or the day before the later of (a) two years following the date of the decedent's death or (b) six months after determination of the estate's final estate tax liability, if an estate tax return is required to be filed (Reg. Sec. 1.645-1(f)). During the election period

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes, you can still make the 645 election. All the ones I've had recently, both the trust and estate already had an EIN by the time I got involved; I'd have to re-read the instructions to see if you need to get an estate EIN as well as the trust EIN.

The advantages I see to the election are: 1) better chance that you'll be able to file a first-and-final return and 2) the benes get an extra year to pay the tax. I hate fiscal year entities that are ongoing; they need extensions at times I'm not thinking about extensions, and guesses as to how much of the dividends will end up being qualified.

If it were my client, my advice would be to try to get everything wrapped up by 12/31 if possible. 

Thank you Phoebe.

I have prepared about 10 estate returns with a fiscal year end but never made the 645 election. I have not ever received IRS notices that state I could not use a FYE.  I will file a 645 in order to preserve a few other advantages that might be applicable.

• A larger exemption amount ($600 versus $300 for a simple trust versus $100 for all other trusts);
  • No requirement to make estimated tax payments until after the second tax year following the decedent's death;
  • Deducting medical expenses paid by the trust on the decedent's final income tax return;
  • A potentially longer time frame for owning S corporation stock (period of administration versus two-year period for former revocable trusts);
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

And:

One tax return instead of two.

Trust gets to use a fiscal year instead of calendar.

Ex-AllStar