Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBARs Forms 114 Don't Print, Just 114a - Is it a Settings Option I'm Overlooking?

ToddCPA
Level 1

I've noticed all of the pages for the FBARs don't print with the full tax return, just the 114a, but never the 114 (details of foreign accounts).  For the few years now I manually print them by going to Print, Partial Return and selecting "114".  I've looked under the Settings, both under Options and Primary Options regarding forms to be printed and don't see an option for turning the 114s on or off. 

I am curious if others have this issue?      

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
jharvey
Level 4

I would guess it is because you can't paper file Form 114. It must be filed electronically.

0 Cheers
ToddCPA
Level 1

Thanks for your response.  That would be like having only the 8879s print out for e-filed tax returns.  For the client's and internal copy (paper or PDF) it would be nice if the 114a (details) also printed with the entire tax return and not just the 114 which is comparable to the 8879 since it's merely the signature page.   

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

The 114 is used by TP filing their own return. The 114A is used when you are filing for someone else.

From IRS: "If you want someone to file your FBAR on your behalf, use FinCEN Report 114a, Record of Authorization to Electronically File FBARs, to authorize that person to do so. You don’t submit FinCEN Report 114a when filing the FBAR; just keep it for your records and make it available to FinCEN or IRS upon request."

Link to IRS instructions. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-a...

ToddCPA
Level 1

Yep, the 114a is merely the e-file authorization form and is the equivalent of the 8879s for a tax return while the 114 are the details of each foreign account, much like the 1040.   Providing the client a copy of the 114a and not the 114 details is like providing them just the 8879s and not a copy of their tax return.  

It's likely even a legal requirement to provide the client with the 114, otherwise they have no record of what their CPA actually submitted.

I merely want to print a "client copy" of the tax return and also have the 114 (details) print as well and not just the 114a (e-file authorization).  

I have a feeling a lot of lacerate users who prep 114s don't realize the account details (114) aren't printing with the client copy OR I'm missing an option to print them in Settings. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Sorry I don't use Lacerte. I use ProSeries Pro and have the option to print the 114 or not. Surprised that option is not available in Lacerte. Maybe a Lacerte user will jump in, and give you an answer