linette's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linette's Posts

Did they sell the home?  
IRonMaN, Thank you.  I found it!  It didn't work but I learned something new. Ended up completely uninstalling the program, going to intuit and starting over with the download 2019 and then updatin... See more...
IRonMaN, Thank you.  I found it!  It didn't work but I learned something new. Ended up completely uninstalling the program, going to intuit and starting over with the download 2019 and then updating and it cleared whatever the problem was. Linette
Hi IRonMaN, Jenny says to ask you if you know where repair updates is using Windows 10. My start menu doesn't show ProSeries to select repair updates. I am thinking of maybe uninstalling and reins... See more...
Hi IRonMaN, Jenny says to ask you if you know where repair updates is using Windows 10. My start menu doesn't show ProSeries to select repair updates. I am thinking of maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the program based on what you say. I found an Updater and when I ran that it is coming back with verison failers in 18 or so versions. Not sure what that means but something is not right.
I just completed and tried to file my first business extension and now efiling is not working. (Unfortunately the first thing I tried to Efile was the extension) With extension it goes through the ... See more...
I just completed and tried to file my first business extension and now efiling is not working. (Unfortunately the first thing I tried to Efile was the extension) With extension it goes through the process and tells me 1st extension conversion failed. When I return to the file and click review. Check everything. Scroll through everything is green. Something is not right....Help.   Then I efiled a 1040. Select the forms federal and state and click button and it tells me ProSeries has stopped working.   The other thing I will have happen is it freezes before you get to where you select the forms.   I have closed the program and restarted. I have updated the program. I have restarted the machine. I have shut the machine off and taken power off of everything.   Any other ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix it?  
I think if you don't report it your client will receive a notice for reporting deficiency when IRS system doesn't find the income on the return.  (Can't match) At that point you could send back stat... See more...
I think if you don't report it your client will receive a notice for reporting deficiency when IRS system doesn't find the income on the return.  (Can't match) At that point you could send back stating that you don't think this is income and explain where it came from. However, if you do that I think that IRS then looks to the company and we get to the question you have asked, "what expense was reported". Based on the way the 1099 Misc is completed with box 3 I think that other income is appropriate. These are the things that make our hair turn grey! Seems fishy!  But do we know that?   If we just report what the form says and assume it is correct are we immune from responsibility if this is wrong? What structure does the business report using?  Is it possible this should be dividend?  Lots of questions not really any answers as your client is the recipient.  Depending on what the client knows I think you have to make a decision to report or hand it back to the client and have them ask questions knowing the answer he may get is "Just report it!"
There is a box on preparer screen to print phone number.  Is that checked?
Is he operating as schedule C? Business income is business income. If he is in the business of financing interest would be busines income I think. I think you are correct with the sale of the vehi... See more...
Is he operating as schedule C? Business income is business income. If he is in the business of financing interest would be busines income I think. I think you are correct with the sale of the vehicle on contract as I believe inventory cannot be sold on installment sale. Ask yourself what he is in the business of doing and identify his business income.  
ProSeries default for naming in my system uses last name and last four of social. Try searching for last four of clients social and see what comes up.   PS-  I don't allow ProSeries to name my fil... See more...
ProSeries default for naming in my system uses last name and last four of social. Try searching for last four of clients social and see what comes up.   PS-  I don't allow ProSeries to name my files for that reason. When I have 5 Smiths I want to know which one is which and I am not going to clear social security numbers of all my clients. In the off season, you can go through and change names on your files and name them so that you won't have this problem in the future.  
I agree!  But..... What can we do about it? In my opinion, Intuit is totally disrespectful of professionals as their client.   Where I have seen them try to sugar coat their behavior and acknowledg... See more...
I agree!  But..... What can we do about it? In my opinion, Intuit is totally disrespectful of professionals as their client.   Where I have seen them try to sugar coat their behavior and acknowledge us, I have always felt ignored and unappreciated and yet I spend most of my working hours using and or promoting their products which makes them money. They are too busy viewing professionals as the competition and then ProSeries is their step-child package. Now that I am not working as much I am going to try to answer more questions in these forum and try to help other preparers 
Try using .49 which will register as zero.
I work mobile and I am using stand alone as well. Where I haven't actually accessed it, my system has popped up and told me I don't have internet access and asked if I want to work offline, so I am ... See more...
I work mobile and I am using stand alone as well. Where I haven't actually accessed it, my system has popped up and told me I don't have internet access and asked if I want to work offline, so I am assuming it will let me work offline if I say yes. Turn your internet connection off and see.
Haven't seen a partnership but for a corporate return I just entered the right number of zeros and it cleared the error.
I do use box 14 and to have it not work correctly is not acceptable. As other pointed out with Union Dues auto going to miscellaneous deduction there are some things that can go in box 14 that need ... See more...
I do use box 14 and to have it not work correctly is not acceptable. As other pointed out with Union Dues auto going to miscellaneous deduction there are some things that can go in box 14 that need to be reported. I think this is programmer error trying to program for state that will allow union dues, but it doesn't work.  
Thank you!  
Anybody keypunching Union Dues on the W-2? Why is the system deducting these?
Doesn't it need to be purchased and placed in service in the same year?
TRY MFJ part year resident. First time I saw that I filed non resident returns for each state. They filed just fine but in class Oregon representative said part year resident was better.
Client needs a mileage log to prove business use. Start there. If he is driving at all for business those miles will accumulate and you will probably find mileage is the higher deduction anyway so ... See more...
Client needs a mileage log to prove business use. Start there. If he is driving at all for business those miles will accumulate and you will probably find mileage is the higher deduction anyway so not tracking actual expenses doesn't really matter. If taxpayer will do the work you can actually do the calcuation, but taxpayer needs to track all expenses of that vehicle. Then you enter mileage figures total and business, and all the expenses and let the program calcuate which is higher deduction.  
How did partnership start 1/1 if LLC (which is the partnership) didn't start until Mar? There should be documents showing dates.  ie: registration and acceptance of the LLC, partnership agreement, e... See more...
How did partnership start 1/1 if LLC (which is the partnership) didn't start until Mar? There should be documents showing dates.  ie: registration and acceptance of the LLC, partnership agreement, etc. that will leave a trail for what happened. With that said, I would apply common sense and dollars. You can rack up a lot of time trying to figure out the allocation for just a few dollars difference so does it matter?   Also, look to the taxpayer and the books to see how accurately things are being reported in regards to dates anyway? Taxpayers often don't know they need to split the books in situations like this and they don't take that into consideration.  If they did it would make this easier.
I gave up trying to get them to fix the printing problems and this year am printing to PDF as Lisa mentioned.  It takes about twice as long to get the print and the system doesn't consistently go to P... See more...
I gave up trying to get them to fix the printing problems and this year am printing to PDF as Lisa mentioned.  It takes about twice as long to get the print and the system doesn't consistently go to PDF the first time I send it, but at least I can keep punching keys and not have to check the printer so see what is actually printing.