linette's Posts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linette's Posts

I don't know that you will find someone here that is knowledgable in the area you are looking at. Here is a exerpt that I found with a quick google search that confirms this is very trick tax law. ... See more...
I don't know that you will find someone here that is knowledgable in the area you are looking at. Here is a exerpt that I found with a quick google search that confirms this is very trick tax law. In most cases, you can only deduct these expenses in the tax year in which you incur them. If you didn’t deduct those expenses at that time, the only way you can deduct them in later years is with smart patent accounting and with the consent of the IRS Commissioner.  I have know idea what this clients does, how long they have been in business, how much risk is involved if the wrong decision is made.  But to me this sentence says that there can be high conseqences if this is not done correctly and is caught. The immediate question that comes to mind with your description is:  Does it matter if the business is a going concern (operating) or not?  Then I would be looking for specifics as to what are patent costs, start-up costs, research and development costs and how to expenses of this client fit into those categories?  Without a professional willing to mentor on this so that I could make sure of what I was doing, I would probably decline the client.
This would be where the consult with professional that knows would be important. I think there is a technicality here somewhere that needs to be understood before the right answer is known.  I am no... See more...
This would be where the consult with professional that knows would be important. I think there is a technicality here somewhere that needs to be understood before the right answer is known.  I am not sure enough information has been given.
I would consult with another accountant or an attorney that deals with patents. Where I suspect it would be start up costs and follow the rules for start up, like you, I am not sure.  I also am not ... See more...
I would consult with another accountant or an attorney that deals with patents. Where I suspect it would be start up costs and follow the rules for start up, like you, I am not sure.  I also am not sure that you have given us enough information.
Start-up costs are intangibles and what you found states to consult an accountant familiar with patents.  I think there is your answer.
Go to the return you will not be efiling, on the information screen find efile and uncheck the boxes.  
Don't have a clue but here are a few things you can try: Look at the file name and make sure it is in the right format and doesn't have an illegal character. (I save my files last, first name & fis... See more...
Don't have a clue but here are a few things you can try: Look at the file name and make sure it is in the right format and doesn't have an illegal character. (I save my files last, first name & fist name.  System let's me do this and works just fine except when it doesn't.  Some years later I learned that the & is an illegal character)  Point being assuming all characters are legal is not necessarily the case. Look at the size of the file to make sure there is data in it. If you are restoring the file and there is already a file in your data base with that name move the existing file out of the folder before you restore the file. Turn everything off and restart to reset everything in ProSeries and with the machine and try again.  If you are using a network that may mean powering down the network as well. Let us know if anything works.  
An accrual basis taxpayer can have bad debt.
Devil's advocate:  Is that a threat that in some way would be an ethical violation on our part as a professional? Personally, I wouldn't use a letter like that.
Sounds like start-up costs.
Rick, Yes I am aware of that. My mistake was that when this young man walked into my office I made the assumption that the state checked that.  I learned they don't.  
Oregon
Ask attorney to make sure but in my state they can form even though they aren't 18. State application does not even ask age. I think this is wrong since they can't enter into a legal contract, but ... See more...
Ask attorney to make sure but in my state they can form even though they aren't 18. State application does not even ask age. I think this is wrong since they can't enter into a legal contract, but that is what I found out when I had a minor walk in whom had already form the business and now wanted to know how to file taxes.....  
Where others maybe harsh in responding this really is something that you need to research not ask here. There is a safe harbor rule and other resources that you can easily find to help make this det... See more...
Where others maybe harsh in responding this really is something that you need to research not ask here. There is a safe harbor rule and other resources that you can easily find to help make this determination but I think it is a determination that you and your client need to make. It is the clients responsibility to keep documentation to prove that the rental is being operated as a business if the deduction is taken. I have heard preparers say that rentals do not qualify.  I think that may come from they don't want to do the work to try to prove they do qualify.
Did you complete social security information for prior years? Sometimes this will reduce the amount of income.  
Yes ProSeries has P-Personal Loss not investment for transaction type on schedule D.  
Good points made already, I would just add that maybe you just explain to taxpayer, what has happened (which is sounds like you have) report correctly and wait to see what IRS does.  I think it is t... See more...
Good points made already, I would just add that maybe you just explain to taxpayer, what has happened (which is sounds like you have) report correctly and wait to see what IRS does.  I think it is totally possible that IRS has those payments in the right place and if they don't you reply to notice with proof of payment and it is fixed.  
ProSeries can be hit and miss with attaching explanations and how do you know what is really transmitted?  If it is typed right on the forms it will be hard for IRS to say they never received it shou... See more...
ProSeries can be hit and miss with attaching explanations and how do you know what is really transmitted?  If it is typed right on the forms it will be hard for IRS to say they never received it should anything come up later.  I have never seen it questioned nor had to explain when keypunching this way.    
There are provision for worthless stock that could possibly allow you to report the loss before the process is completed.  If you are interested in claiming the loss you should look at that.  I belie... See more...
There are provision for worthless stock that could possibly allow you to report the loss before the process is completed.  If you are interested in claiming the loss you should look at that.  I believe the instructions also walk you through what to do in future years when new information is known or money is received. To answer your question: I would put the 1099 Misc in and carry it to misc. income as it states. Then I would go to line 8 Other Income and enter a negative amount and as description put removing 1099 MISC income to report on Schedule D. Then I would go to schedule D and put it in again showing that this is a capital transaction and that you are using up your basis to offset this income which reports no gain or loss at this time.  Note the new basis for when this settles and final loss is claimed. Ask questions as maybe this is something that you are supposed to be reporting a prorated share of the gain or loss at this time, rather than making this transaction go to zero.  If the taxpayer received money, they probably received a letter from the bankruptcy attorney explaining what was going on and maybe even telling them how to report this.    
I think you are right at $240. Unless there was additional excess contributions in 2019. Start with the penalty amount of $480 and try to follow it backwards.  It sounds like somewhere there is an ... See more...
I think you are right at $240. Unless there was additional excess contributions in 2019. Start with the penalty amount of $480 and try to follow it backwards.  It sounds like somewhere there is an addtional $4,000 entered in the wrong place. Also review the IRA contribution worksheet.  Sometimes I can find links there or entries there that by following will take me to the source. Another place to look is the carryforward information. This is a tough one if it is really resulting from computer carryforward as it may not be somewhere in the system that we are familiar with entering.
Taxpayer is responsible for knowing the rules. Close the business and advise them there maybe recapture that needs to happen should they decide to sell the home.  It is there responsibility to keep ... See more...
Taxpayer is responsible for knowing the rules. Close the business and advise them there maybe recapture that needs to happen should they decide to sell the home.  It is there responsibility to keep records and pass on accordingly. All kinds of things can happen.