This article explains how to automatically download Lacerte updates using the update scheduler. With the scheduler you can:
- Schedule a specific time to download updates and see the date and time they become available.
- Allow it to periodically check for updates to selected products.
- Make sure the most up-to-date Lacerte products are installed on your computer throughout the year without interrupting your workflow.
- Automatically downloaded updates to be installed the next time you open Lacerte.
To use update scheduler:
In a network environment, the update scheduler only needs to be enabled on one computer.
To schedule a time and date for update checks:
- Double-click the icon in the system navigation.
- If you don't see the icon, click the Windows Start menu and search Update Scheduler.
- Click on the Schedule tab.
- Make sure the Automatically download current year updates box is checked.
- Select when you want the program to check for updates. The options are:
- Daily - Recommended for standalone and small networks
- Weekly - Recommended for larger networks
- Monthly - Not recommended.
- In the Time box, click the arrows to select the time of day during which you want the program to check for updates.
- Typically you'll want to schedule updates at the end of the day while your computer is still on.
- Select the Options tab and verify Start when Windows Starts is checked.
- We recommend checking the current year product as well as all product versions up to two years prior.
- Click the Close button when selections are complete.
The program will automatically check for updates based on your settings. Any updates will download in the background. Once the download is complete, the update will install the next time you open Lacerte.
To turn off Update Scheduler:
- Double-click the icon in the system navigation and click the Options tab.
- To turn off the update scheduler, clear the Start when Windows starts check box.
- When asked if you are sure you wish to turn the program off, click OK.
- Click Close.
- Then right-click on the icon in the System Tray and click Close window.
Update scheduler vs. update notifications
The update scheduler is different than the Lacerte update notification settings found in the Tools menu under Lacerte updates...
- The Lacerte update notification setting notifies you of available updates only when you open the program or switch tax types.
- The updates won't download until a user initiates the download.