This article explains how to operate Lacerte in a terminal server environment, including the recommended settings.
Using Lacerte in a terminal server environment
There are some important differences between using the program in a terminal server as opposed to a traditional server/workstation environment. Below are the recommended settings for using Lacerte in a terminal server environment:
- Install the program locally on the terminal server using the steps in this article.
- Each user accessing the terminal server will be running the program from this install. Because of this, all users must be out of the program to perform an update. To minimize downtime, we recommend scheduling updates to install after hours, when no one is in the program.
- In Primary Options, set and apply the following user options to ensure coordinated updates:
- On the Setup tab, in the Program Options section, turn off Lacerte Update Notification.
- In Trustee Rights, remove Lacerte Updates rights for the Default Rights user, as well as all other users, except the program administrator.
- In Primary Options, make the following changes for optimized performance and stability:
- Change Show Input Warnings in the Detail tab to No in Program Options on the Setup tab.
Lacerte update schedule
During tax season, Lacerte updates are on a twice a week release schedule and update on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Out-of-season updates are scheduled once a week on Wednesdays.
- Early in season, there are typically more updates due to form approvals.
- Occasionally, e-filed returns will be rejected with instructions that they can't be e-filed until the program is updated. In that case, you'll need to wait for the program update to e-file.
Recommended update schedule
- Use the steps in this article to set the Lacerte Update Scheduler to download updates once a week on Friday.
- This captures all updates for the week.
- You can also set it to check for updates nightly.
- Once updates have been downloaded and pushed to the Setup folder, users will be prompted to install the update as they either exit or enter the program.