This article will help you when:
- You receive the error "Sharing Violation. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Please use a different file" when trying to print.
- You receive the error "Sharing Violation. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Please use a different file" when trying to e-file.
This error is caused by a problematic or incompatible print driver. ProSeries does require the use of a PCL 5 or higher compatible printer. For a long term fix you'll need to install a different printer driver from your printer's manufacturer. Your local IT or the printer manufacture can help you with this.
There are some things you can try to get you back to work, however, most of these solutions are temporary. ProSeries support isn't able to help with installation of printer drivers.
- To save the current file you can sometimes select Save As and entering a new file name. This will often allow you to save so you don't lose any data entry.
- Try restarting the computer.
- Change the Windows default printer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
- Try using the HP PCL 5 Universal printer driver which is expected to work with PCL5 printers of any manufacturer, but we cannot guarantee this will work. A link to the HP PCL 5 Universal print driver is contained in the article ProSeries Printing Slow on Some HP LaserJet Printers and Printers from Other Manufacturers.