When using the ProSeries Professional or ProSeries Basic with some printer models, often older HP printer models and occasionally printers from other manufacturers, slow printing has been experienced. Printers that have been reported to exhibit slow printing include, but aren't limited to:
- HP LaserJet 4 series printers
- HP LaserJet 5 series printers
- HP LaserJet 6 series printers
- HP LaserJet 1000 series printers
- HP LaserJet 2000 series printers
- HP LaserJet 4000 series printers
- Some newer HP LaserJet printers
- Canon IRC-5235
Installing a universal print driver
This can often be resolved by installing a HP Universal Printer Driver which is available for both 32 bit or 64 bit Windows operating systems. Note that the links below not only contain the printer drivers, but also a Readme section with handy troubleshooting information (including an Installation instructions subsection).
- Click Here to visit the HP web site to download the HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 (32 bit Windows)
- Click Here to visit the HP web site to download the HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 (64-bit Windows)
When installing the Universal Print Driver, we recommend selecting "Traditional Mode" to retain your original print driver capabilities. With Traditional mode, you will be permitted to select either your original printer's print driver, or the alternative Universal Print driver when printing in ProSeries. Additionally, If ProSeries continues to print slowly on your printer after following the steps above, or if you are using a printer not listed here, please contact the printer manufacturer for further assistance.
Configuring ProSeries to use the Universal PCL5 Driver:
After installing the HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5, you may configure your ProSeries software to print using only this printer driver, and allow all other software to print using your existing printer driver.
- Open ProSeries
- From the File menu, select Print Options.
- Select Printer, PDF, and DMS Setup.
- In Printer and File Setup section select Change next to Tax Forms Printer.
- In the Change Tax Forms Printer window, use the dropdown list to select the new print driver.
- Click OK to save your change to the Tax Forms Printer.
- Repeat steps 4-6 for each ProSeries printer that you wish to reassign print drivers for.
- Click OK again to save your changes to the Print Center.