When opening Lacerte to the clients list you receive "An error has occured in the Lacerte Tax Program." When selecting click here the error report shows: Exception Message = Invalid JSON primitive. This issue is caused by corruption within a piece of information the program utilizes for Intuit Link.
Before you start:
- This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive.
To resolve the error:
- Close Lacerte.
- Browse to the (IDATA) folder in Windows.
- The default path is C:\Lacerte\YYtax\IDATA
- If you don't know where the IDATA folder is open Lacerte in the prior year and from the Settings menu select Options. Review the data path. Typically, these are in a similar location.
- Open the Link folder.
- Right-click on the LinkClientsProgress.json file and choose Rename.
- Change the name to LinkClientsProgress.jsonold
- If you get the message "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?" select Yes.
- Open Lacerte.