Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Inherited house

jsoles24
Level 3

Mom created a property trust for her main home in California and makes Daughter the recipient, who lives in Georgia. Mom dies in Oct 2016, Daughter sells the home in February 2017 and receives a 1099S. The home was not the main home of the Daughter as she lives in Georgia. Do I complete the Sale of Home worksheet or do I record the sell of the inherit home on Schedule D? The Daughter has been audited by the State of California for not reporting the sale of the home. Also, do I file a trust return for the Property trust? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does the 1099S have the daughters SSN on it or the Trust EIN on it?

If its in the daughters SSN (which it sounds like it is since CA is all over her about it), you'll record it on Sch D.  ProSeries professional makes it easy to find where to record it

schdinherited.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does the 1099S have the daughters SSN on it or the Trust EIN on it?

If its in the daughters SSN (which it sounds like it is since CA is all over her about it), you'll record it on Sch D.  ProSeries professional makes it easy to find where to record it

schdinherited.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jsoles24
Level 3

Hi Lisa,

The 1099S was issued to the daughter with her SSN and not the property trust. Thank you so much

Jennifer