Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax prep fees

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

One thing I know about tax prep fees is that they vary widely amongst preparers, even sometimes within one preparer.  I don't need anymore work. was going to decline on this one call. talked to the guy.. had SS income, pension income and interest income.. simple return.  I thought to myself.. I am going to quote him a little more than I would have if I was looking for work.. still a lot lower than some preparers in the area and the big chains.. After I gave him my quote, he goes, oh, I have to ask my wife about this.  I was more than reasonbable in my quote.. just a bit surprised that he balked at what I thought was a fair price on both sides.  oh well.. onto the next return. 

19 Comments 19
IRonMaN
Level 15

Depends on who he was having prepare his return.  If he was preparing it himself or if his brother's neighbor's sister's kid was doing the return because he bought a copy of Turrrdddotax and wanted some extra funny money, any price of a professional tax preparer might need the wife's approval -------- no matter how reasonable you think it is.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

My voice mail *starts* with "not accepting new clients"....the only exceptions I might make are kids of good clients or any first responders (particularly any fire personnel) .

My organizers & engagement letters just went out with the statement "my fees will be increasing by 10%; if ya' can't handle that just let me know.  AND ya' need to look for someone new ASAP".

Virtually no tax preparers in my area are taking on new clients.  H&RB was even declining new ones last October.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

Virtually no tax preparers in my area are taking on new clients.  H&RB was even declining new ones last October.

Sounds like a good opportunity for me to move out there and set up a tax business.  😁

IRonMaN
Level 15

You can run ads for your business:

"I am the only tax preparer in the area looking for work"

On second thought, maybe not 😜

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

You can run ads for your business:😜

How about:

"I'm your only option, so you're stuck with me".

🤣

IRonMaN
Level 15

You are a marketing genius 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill 

Come on down, er... over...  We can partner up, as I'm trying to downsize/move towards retirement.

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

Come on down, er... over...  We can partner up, as I'm trying to downsize/move towards retirement.

It's actually rather temping and would be good for me.  But in reality, I'm probably too lazy to move across the country.   😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

But it’s only half a country from here. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Plus... winter is finally arriving tomorrow.  Over a foot of snow predicted, with 80+ MPH winds.  

I'll be either at my home desk clearing up loose ends and/or in the kitchen.  I promised John I would make him some 'power' biscotti for Christmas and never got to actually making it.

( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Not a good idea sometimes to give quote up front, they say it is simple, then drop off the opposite.  I have enough work, and do not want anymore. Few tax pros left in my area, I wonder why? Could it be all the BS we have been put through over the years? 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX agreed.. so another call came in.. it is on my voice mail.. message said simple return.. this time i am going to ask to meet with him next week so i can review it and give him a quote. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

ok.. called the other guy back.. wife answered the phone.. told her i would like to meet with them next week so i can review the return and give them a quote.. once they meet me they will not say no 🙂

George4Tacks
Level 15

I have been trying to send that type of retired person to the AARP Tax-Aide program for years. https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/locations.html

At least one of my clients said "Oh, I know they do a good job, but you always give me such a pretty tax cover." Loyalty is hard to beat, but if that Tax-Aide is in your area, that is a safe secure place to ship them off to. I did one season with them and they do a really good job. I didn't return because they require at least 2 days of training every year and their workday is 10-2, which blows the whole day. It is essentially the VITA program, but for seniors and it is considered an IRS work site. One of elders moved to Texas and I found a free site for him at his local librarian. I told him it was time to wean himself from me. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Timely article from Yahoo Finance just popped up on my phone discussing fees and how cool, or not cool, accounting is.  I for one think it is very cool

Tax prep fees are rising because accounting is not a ‘cool’ career

A national shortage of CPAs and support staff is driving up prices.

American taxpayers had to pay at least 20% more on average to get their taxes done last year — and accountants aren’t thrilled about it either.

Tax professionals charged an average of $218 for new clients in 2023, a 25% jump from $174 in 2021, the National Association of Tax Professionals found in its 2023 Tax Fee report. Tax pros also bumped repeat clients’ fees to $205, a 22.7% increase from $167 two years ago. This is based on the most common fee structure, where clients are charged a minimum fee plus costs based on the complexity of their return.

Experts are attributing the double-digit price increases to an industry-wide PR crisis. Firms need to raise prices because they can’t find enough staff to work, and they can’t find staff because many college students still believe accountants sit in dark basements punching numbers into calculators.

“I think, unfortunately, we accountants have never been able to shed the reputation of being number crunchers,” Mike Gillis, CPA and CEO at DMJPS, an accounting firm based in North Carolina, told Yahoo Finance. “It makes me feel a little bit sad because I know what a great career it is."

“I wish more young professionals would understand [accounting] has lots of opportunity and is financially lucrative as we compete for students against other really cool careers like the data analytics and the software engineers (which have) a little more cool factor.”

Tax experts attributed industry staff shortage to poor marketing. (The Office: "Dwight's Speech" Episode 17, aired 3/2/2006) (NBC via Getty Images)

A shortage hurt by perception

The total number of candidates finishing bachelor's degrees in accounting dropped 7.8% in 2022 from 2021 after a steady decline of 1% to 3% annually since 2015, according to the AICPA’s 2023 Trend Report. It also shows that the number of new CPA candidates dipped to 30,251 in 2022, the lowest in 16 years.

“(Fewer) students are going into accounting, and [the students] are coming up with 10 job offers. So it's becoming so much more competitive to get them,” Gillis said about his firm’s recruiting challenges.

The shrinking talent pipeline is impacting accounting firms across the board. More than 99% of the country’s top CPA firm leaders said they can’t find adequate staffing domestically.

Meanwhile, the demand for accountants has “gone through the roof,” Jim Brady, CEO of alliantTALENT, told Yahoo Finance.

“Since the 80s, you've had four decades of incredible economic expansion in the United States,” Brady said, “and what goes with that is capital formation and the need for CPAs, the need for audit professionals, and the need for tax professionals."

PATAX
Level 15

there are less tax pros/accountants, while older ones retire. it is going to get worse. too much bs and barriers to entry.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I like my job, but increasingly there is more and more BS thrown at us, especially on the accounting side of this job. So I like my job, but I don't much like the profession.  Sadly, I would not recommend this profession to any kid heading off to college.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX how is this for an update.. took your advice.. guy called. tells me he is retired and only has interest income and SS income.. my favorite type of 15-20 minute type of return.. but i remembered what you said about reviewing the return before giving a quote.. guy comes in today.. i am so glad i asked to see his prior return as i see he sold a business years ago and it is a S Corp he seller financed! and he is looking for me to do the S Corp return!  what i was going to give him my senior citizien 15-20 minute friendly rate has turned into a pretty big deal now. thanks PATAX. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio you're welcome Jim. I learned over time. Years ago I had a new client call, she had a small beautician beauty shop sole proprietorship. She claimed everything was nice and easy and she had everything ready. So I agreed to do it . Then this Gypsy clown dropped off a box full of disorganized BS. I learned the hard way. She was terminated.