Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Activity vs Second home on form 1098 Mortgage use section line #2

bullishmalc
Level 1

We have a second home, which is a two-family home, and we rent out one unit.  We used to live in this home and always reported it at 50% owner occupied when we were living there. We later bought another home in another state and moved out of the house. However, we left the unit we lived in as a second home and continued to rent out the other unit. Now that it is time to file our return, we have a form 1098 from the mortgage company, and wondering what option to select in the mortgage use section of form 1098 in ProSeries line # 2.  Should we select rental activity or second home? Each option results in a different refund amount, and we are not sure which option to select.  The second home option gives us a higher refund, but before we choose that, I wanted to make sure we are doing the right thing.  Please someone help.

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never used the 1098 worksheet in ProSeries, so I have no clue what they ask or how they work,  just do the proration and put the correct amounts directly on the Schedules where they belong.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never used the 1098 worksheet in ProSeries, so I have no clue what they ask or how they work,  just do the proration and put the correct amounts directly on the Schedules where they belong.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪