Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JE's to books after annual 1065 and K-1s are filed

jritchie
Level 3

I am a tax preparer using ProSeries.   Clients often maintain their own Quickbooks Online and provide me their final annual Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss statements to use in creating the tax return for their small businesses. There are no 'off-book' items to consider, just these reports from their accounting software, which I do not have access to.   I just created a 1065 for a dual member LLC, each received a K-1 which allocated income and expenses based on their ownership percentages of 51% to Partner A and 49% to Partner B. 

Client is asking if they need to make journal entries to adjust their books for info from their respective K-1's so that their individual Equity Accounts on their Balance Sheet are adjusted for the allocation of non-deductible expenses (shown on K-1, line 18, code C) of Partner A=$155 and Partner B=$149. 

Do they need to make these entries in QBO and if so, what is the entry?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

They don't "need" to, but it sure makes life easier for their tax preparer.

Slava Ukraini!
jritchie
Level 3

If the expenses are already booked and inside Net Income, which rolls to Equity, what is the entry to then? I've not had a client ask me this before. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If your ending equity is correct, then there isn't anything to record in Quickbooks.  I guess I missed what you were getting at on the first pass.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Maybe print the individual partner basis statements in the Pro Series software and give it to your client?