Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constructive Receipt - Timing

I wrote a check on 12/1/2023, and my vendor received it prior to 12/31/2023.  He called me in February 2024 and said he lost it. so, I cancelled the previous check and issued a new one in 2024.  This is deductible in 2023 under constructive receipt doctrine, right?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Constructive Receipt" isn't really what you are asking.

It's about perspective. You incurred the expense when you paid. Constructive receipt as income is his perspective, in this case.

You typically would never know when someone got your check. You wrote it and sent it in Dec, and that's what matters for your perspective. For all you know, they went to Mexico until Feb, came back and caught up on the mail and banking.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yup.  You provided a replacement check, not a new payment.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Constructive Receipt" isn't really what you are asking.

It's about perspective. You incurred the expense when you paid. Constructive receipt as income is his perspective, in this case.

You typically would never know when someone got your check. You wrote it and sent it in Dec, and that's what matters for your perspective. For all you know, they went to Mexico until Feb, came back and caught up on the mail and banking.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

I wonder what year the recipient is going to pick it up as income?