Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City home improvement incentives

Are  city rebates for home improvements taxable?  Client received a 1099 from the city.  Seems to me the rebate should reduce the amount of the improvement added to basis rather than being taxed.  But, I can't find anything definitive.  

The rebate is based upon the increase in property tax due to the improvement.  The rebate is 10 times the amount of tax increase, and is a one time payment.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Personal residence?

Or business/rental property?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

The starting point is that all income, from whatever source derived, is taxable unless there is an exclusion or exemption in the Internal Revenue Code or elsewhere. 

The city seems to think that it's income; that's why they issued a 1099. 

The increase in property taxes over the next ten years may be deductible, subject to SALT limitations until they expire and are not renewed. 

I wouldn't say that the payments from the city reduce the basis of the property.  "Generally, a taxpayer is not required to reduce the purchase price or cost of property acquired with a governmental energy-efficiency incentive that is not a rebate. Many states label their energy-efficiency incentives as rebates, but these incentives may not in fact constitute rebates or purchase-price adjustments for federal income tax purposes."

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2013-47_IRB#NOT-2013-70