Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to keep client electronic records

LEVA4657
Level 2

How long should I keep electronic client records? Also, within ProSeries, a number of prior 1099 & W-2 prepared form(s) from prior years remain on the record even though they have been deceased for a number of years.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The IRS generally requires you to keep certain things for 3 years (4 years for payroll).  However, in some cases the starting date of the three years is funky, so I recommend keeping them for 4 years.

Some tax organizations may recommend longer (such as 7 years), but that isn't required by the IRS.

With that being said, I tend to keep some records of current clients for longer, in case I need to refer to them or in case my current client somehow ends up in an audit further than three years back.

qbteachmt
Level 15

The start date for counting is often from the filing date and not the tax year. I keep most records 7 years. And there are some items, when audited, that can trigger a further lookback. You will want to evaluate the type of work you do and what that entails. I was cleaning out a preparer's storage unit and contacting the clients with what looked to me to have significant original records stored there, and one told me for certain they had copies of everything. Guess who contacted me in the next 6 months, looking for their original banking records?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

I have never discarded any.  Scanned and saved forever.

0 Cheers
LEVA4657
Level 2

Thanks for the note as I am pretty much in a similar position. With that said, I have also taken steps to ensure that I have it secured and in a safe place off-site.

0 Cheers