Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising the 1099 Filing Threshold

BobKamman
Level 15

Just because I live in his district doesn’t mean I have ever voted for him. But even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn:

"An influential U.S. House committee this week endorsed a tax-relief package that included language by Rep. David Schweikert that would raise the Form 1099 reporting threshold from $600 to $5,000....According to Schweikert's office, the threshold has never been adjusted for inflation; $600 in 1954 when the rule was created would be worth over $6,700 in 2023. Schweikert's bill includes provisions that would adjust the threshold for inflation."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2023/06/16/schweikert-targets-form-1099-in-tax...

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
rcooley25
Level 11

If they get that bill passed what it means is there are going to be alot of people not reporting their income because it is not  getting reported to the IRS. A sub contractor ight be working for several different companies and not paying any income taxes on the income because it is not being reported. I will let you folks deside if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

0 Cheers