Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Home Buyer 401k withdrawal

rose323
Level 5

I have a client with earnings of 140k and up he just bought a house and took out 19k from his 401k for a down payment. To my understanding, he can only write off if it is an IRA. Now he has a hefty bill to pay for the distribution. Is there anything I can help him with to reduce his liability as a first-time home buyer? 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

He'll probably be able to itemize deductions now, as a homeowner.

Ex-AllStar
rose323
Level 5

bought the home Nov. 2021 not much interest or tax property acrued

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"To my understanding, he can only write off if it is an IRA."

I think you need to read the rules for 401(k) vs IRA, and the differences between being allowed to make a hardship withdrawal and the penalty exemption. Because this is never a "write off if it is an IRA" and it sure isn't for this client.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
rose323
Level 5

Absolutely correct my wording can be a little tricky sometimes 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The most significant difference that seems to go wrong, is that a withdrawal from the 401(k) might be permitted, but that is up to the plan administrator and governed by the plan document. That has nothing to do with the taxpayer incurring penalty and paying taxes. But they think it does. "Well, my employer's rep allowed me to have it for the stated reason, so it qualifies, right?"

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.