Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099S

brenda4672
Level 3

Father co-signed on property with son on undeveloped property 3 years ago.  Property was sold this year. Property was purchased for 45000 and sold for 132000. Father received a 1099s for 66000 representing his portion of the gain. How do I record this? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Schedule D/8949.

$66,000 is his portion of the sale price. not gain.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

Schedule D/8949.

$66,000 is his portion of the sale price. not gain.

Ex-AllStar
brenda4672
Level 3

Thank you!

brenda4672
Level 3

Another question regarding this sale. How do I handle the cost basis? Father only co-signed on the account and no money put down, yet attorney said he was entitled to and received half of the proceeds because he was on the title.  Original cost was 45000. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

He didn't just co-sign.  He co-owned.  Which was no doubt required by the lender.  He could have deeded his interest to the son at any time after the deal closed (maybe the lender would have to be notified, but if they were getting their payments they probably would not have foreclosed).  If it had been a loss, would he be turning down the deduction?

brenda4672
Level 3

Ok, understood. So, original cost is divided between both parties as well?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

He paid for it with the money he borrowed.  If he wants to let the son claim more of the down payment, I suppose he can.